Did you know that the MINIMUM age required for a FB account is 13?

13? Really??? Are these people serious? Apparently they are because I just took a look at FB's terms. I was actually hoping to provide a valid legal argument to my SO who's 14 yr. old son has an account on FB and is a horrible, repulsive child for forcing him to delete it or else I would report it to CPS and the police. I would never allow OUR son to have an account on FB with my consent until he was at least 16 and than only under my strict supervision of every single person he chats with and every single thing he looks at! That just absolutely infuriates me to no end, I am 34 and have seen it all and I often get repulsed by some things I view on that site. WOW, I am sooooo shocked!! And people wonder why these "little children" make the choice to shoot up schoolyards full of innocent children, hmmmmmmm?

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 3:44 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Technology

• -Shrugs- I won't even let my 8 year old have an email account yet...or her own computer. I knew the age thing was at least 13...they made it harder on myspace I think. I have a neighbor that's 11 that has a FB page, but her mom set everything up where no one can view the page unless they know a codename or something like that. I dunno. I don't know what age I would let my kids have an account, but I do know that eventually they'll have to do projects using the computer and probably get interested in doing things online.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 3:51 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I let my son have a FB account after he turned 13. We're "friends," and he knows I check in on his page. I won't allow him to have MySpace. He's a good kid, and mature enough to understand what FB is for (and not for). The problem, IMO, isn't the kids, it's the parents not paying attention to what their kids are doing.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Honestly it all comes down to whether or not you're willing to monitor your child. I would let my child have an account at that age, but I would have his password, would be the one to approve friends, privacy settings, content, etc. Its not as evil as people make it out to be. You just have to teach them to be responsible and to understand how to be safe on the internet, and you have to be willing to be involved in their activity so that you can monitor them.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:51 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Not everything on the Internet is a horrible, bad influence on children. When my son is 13 I will allow him to use facebook and I will be a responsible parent in my choice to do that. I think you are being far too judgemental about children's use of the Internet. It could be merely a lack of knowledge on your part, but there are plenty of ways to monitor activity without being sneaky. The first time your son catches you being sneaky you'll simply promote sneakiness on his part. To assume that the internet and fb contributed to school shootings and other violent crimes is naive to say the least.

marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 12:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I for one do not care if he has an interest in joining a social site such as FB or MS and I will not allow it unless I deem it appropriate according to his maturity (regardless of age) when this becomes an issue with MY son. I am a super sneeky type of person when need be and no doubt the need will arise with MY son at some point and will not need any sort of special software to be installed either, I will only need to ask him direct questions and watch him. I am not the super idiotic and naive parent that most are!
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 4:02 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• And good for you, you state that as it should be regarded as something abnormal! My son is 2 and there is no way he will have an email account at the age of 15, let alone 8! Wow, some of you people amaze me on this site! It's no wonder why your kids are most likely the idiots that are choosing to take innocent children"s and adults lives in school shootings nowadays!!!!
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 4:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Myspace is not much better. It's 14 to have an account with them. However who really knows how old anyone is. My son(8) does have an xbox live account but dh and I set the parental controls so that he only has contact with dh, his uncle, a close family friend and I. Thats it. He can't talk to anyone, no one can communicate with him.

As far as a myspace and a fb---they (my kids) don't even know what those are. I think waaaaaaaaay to many parents are unaware of what their children are doing. My mom didn't even know my sister had a fb account until a few months ago. My sister is 15 and my cousin and i recently checked her fb account and found a grown man(in his late 40's) on her account, commenting on one of her pictures. The comment? "Mmmm yeah, daddy like girl"

I almost cried. We cannot keep tabs on children 24/7 I agree. The best we can do is educate, keep a watchful eye on them and pray.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 5:30 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Well, facebook started as a site just for college kids (I remember, because I was on it at that point), and then opened to allow high school students, though at first high schoolers and college kids couldn't interact. There are high schoolers who are 13, so that makes sense. It wasn't until AFTER that that facebook opened up to everyone.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:48 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• yes, but i also know kids can have more than one account, and lie about their age. I reported my niece who had a page at age 12, saying she was 17 and talking to adult men and high school boys, eekkk. They didn't do anything. I really don't think FB cares, as long as they are making money and leaders in the social networking game. It may have started and states good intentions, but actions are different from mere words or intent.

I will not allow my child to be on FB untill 13+ (i'm sure all his friends will be, and i don't want him to be a social outcast), but there will be strict rules. 1. We must have access to the account at any time, no access, no computer time. 2. One account or no computer time. 3. if we find out there's any hidden accounts or activity, grounded. 4. there will be guidelines for online activity (privacy, age/who talk to). 5. i'm sure i'll come up with some more by then..i have a few years, thankfully
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:33 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• and although i don't like the way teens talk, we all spoke in ways our parents didn't approve of. I cursed a little, used some slang when i was a teen, i'm sure? So, i won't get on my kids about the content of their language as long as it follows some guidelings too 1. be respectful at home, and with adults or younger kids present, 2. as long as it is not hurtful (bullying), harmful (inciting action that could hurt someone), or something that you could really regret down the road.
    But i also feel that having open, honest communication, expectations, questions, and personal goals will help my kids make good decisions, or at least come to me for advice if they are not sure. my son already knows he will not get in trouble for the the truth and asking questions. It's worked well so far. I just hope it continues to work once he's "online".

boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:38 AM on Jan. 14, 2011