Do you think healthcare rates are insane?

What do you think about what some employers and insurance companies have done-if your waistline is healthy(within a certain amount of inches) you pay far less than the obese? They've been doing it in Japan for a long time. They live a lot longer and don't get nowhere near the amounts of cancer and other diseases as here. I forget the number of inches for the waist but I want to say it's like 34 for a man and maybe 30 for a woman. Something close around there. I'm all for it. If Americans can't be motivated to lose weight when their health is failing what will? Money. They get to keep more of their paycheck in exchange for being a healthy weight. And yeah I know some may say "it's genetic" why some Americans are obese but that's really just an excuse. Very rarely is it hat a person can't lose weight or struggles because of something medical. In those rare cases a dr could exempt them from the inches insurance policy. The companies that have already tried this have seen great weight loss success. Being overweight really is all mental. If you set your mind that you want to lose weight you can.

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 4:56 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Health

• Health care rates are insane and I think that it is a wonderful idea to offer policy holders incentives to stay healthy. It decreases the costs for everyone else, especially when many of the health issues we have in America can be prevented with a conscious change in lifestyle.
    CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 5:05 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Health care costs are insane. My DH's company has had to shop insurance coverage/rates every single year because the rates keep increasing. Adjusting rates for waist size isn't a bad idea at all, life insurance companies use that as a factor for their premiums.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• THEY ARE OUT OF CONTROL, I PAY 200/WK
    miraclemom914

Answer by miraclemom914 at 7:23 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• health care rates suck!
    i work 3 jobs, my husband 1 and none have benefits, so we considered private companies, thats until we were quoted the amounts! wth! how am I supposed to afford that?!
    It is sad, and this is why some ppl pass away due to health issues that remain untreated....
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 5:51 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• oh, and neither of us are over weight. Lifestyle i agree majorly affects weight. change your lifestyle, have a healthy weight. (for the most part)
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 5:52 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I think health care rates are insane also. I can't beleive what we are paying now. It's horrible. I wonder if they were to do a program like Japan how the overweight people would react to something like that seeings how they probably couldn't afford it.
    We jumped another $45.00 lately a week that's insane
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:15 AM on Jan. 13, 2011