Is it illegal to post experiences with a stepchild on your facebook wall?

I have been having serious problems with my 9yr old stepson. I was wanting to share some of the situations on my facebook wall for all my friends to see and get opinions and advice from each of them. I of course wouldn't be using my stepson's name, only referring to him as "my stepson" when I post. Is this illegal to do, does anyone know?

I will be posting the same questions here on Cafe Mom as well...I need all the advice, opinions and help I can get. The situation is bad....I MEAN REALLY BAD. :(

melissa415

Asked by melissa415 at 6:41 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think you should just post it here on cafe mom as anonymous maybe. because really on facebook even though you dont name him, all your friend and fam will still know who your stepson is. I dont think its illegal, but I would still want to protect his identity as much as possible. If there is one or two people in particular on FB you want to ask then ask in a private email.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:43 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Well, I don't think I would just to be on the safe side. Even if you don't use his name, people will be able to figure it out. Just post on CM as anon.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:43 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• It's not illegal, but putting something like that on FB may cause you problems if his mother sees it. Why not send a private message to a few people instead? I'm a SM and have some issues with one of my SS's, but I don't post anything about him just in case. I'm worried about making the situation worse.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:45 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• no its not bad
    proudmamitobe

Answer by proudmamitobe at 6:46 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Personally I'd post as anon here or ask here. Facebook is with people you know in person. Some may go off telling everyone this and that. Is better to play it safe you know?
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 6:49 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• If you want your friends' opinions on FB, message the friends you want to hear from. I wouldn't put in on my page - I think you're asking for problems if you do that. And you're putting info out there about your stepson who has no say in it.

Posting here is different. You can do it anon. or even if you don't, this is less personal.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 6:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Thanks to all of you for answering so quickly! :) I'm new here, but can see I am going to LOVE IT!! Thank you for being so open and honest.
    melissa415

Comment by melissa415 (original poster) at 6:56 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Post it on here facebook can cause allot of dram and on here you have the option of being annoymous
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 7:58 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I wouldn't post something so incredibly personal on my Facebook.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:05 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• On facebook I would pick what friends you would like opinions from and send them a group message instead of posting it on your wall.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:06 AM on Jan. 13, 2011