Kitty in the house and pregnant

DH always changes the litter box. I know during pregnancy changing the litter box is a big no-no, but what about holding and petting kitty? Do I have to shun her for the next 9 months? Is it safe for her to walk around the house and get on the bed and couch and stuff?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Health

• Holding and petting your cat can not hurt the baby, but you do need to make sure that you wash your hands really good after touching him or her. But def a no no on changing the litter. That can cause toxoplasmosis and can kill a fetus.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• A kitty is fine! It's only the litter box to not touch. Love that cat!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:11 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Just let DH clean the box and you'll be fine. I have always had cats and had 4 of them throughout both of my pregnancies. You can google about it and see just how remote the chances are of contracting anything harmful anyway, even if you were scooping the litterbox. Relax and enjoy your kitties!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:30 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Don't worry, your kitty is just fine. The litter box is the only iffy thing and since your hubby is taking care if it, you're good to go.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:24 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I even changed the litter box with my second 2 pregnancies. It was fine. My husband just didn't do it often enough.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2011