Child with ASD puts shoes on wrong feet

My son, who is 6 years old and also has ADHD and Asperger's Syndrome, continuously puts his shoes on the wrong feet even though my fiance' and I have taken the time not only to teach him what shoe goes on what foot but also how to tie them. He knows how to tie his shoes and does so very well. The only issue is that he continues to put his shoes on the wrong feet. We have gone to the length of using a red permanent marker on the tongues of his shoes to indicate left and right and he understands left and right. We have brought the issue up with his doctors but all they seem to do is inform us that "he will grow out of it" yet there are mothers who also have children with similar issues like my child who agree that there may be an issue.
What other steps can I take to teach my child to keep from putting his shoes on the wrong feet, other than putting his shoes on myself? (Bear in mind, I am wanting to teach him. I have no real issue putting his shoes on his feet when necessary.)

Mina2904

Asked by Mina2904 at 7:17 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think you just have to keep reminding him. What if instead of using a red marker for both feet you use 2 different colors. Something like Red for the Right foot and Blue for the Left. Maybe that would help him. I am not sure if he can tell you this, maybe ask him why he puts them on the wrong feet. I know it sounds weird, but maybe it feels better being on the wrong feet.

Good Luck and sorry I couldn't be more help.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:24 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Thanks, cornflake! I definetly think I'll give the different color markers a try and see how that goes. I have asked him a few times about why he puts them on the wrong feet and the only thing he does is shrugs, takes them off, and puts them on the right feet. lol But thank you for taking the time to help out. I appreciate it a ton!
    Mina2904

Comment by Mina2904 (original poster) at 7:50 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I did it all the time when I was a kid. My Mom drew faces on the insides of my shoes and told me that they had to kiss each other before I put on my shoes. That way my shoes were put in the right order before I put them on. My DD is 9 and still puts them on the wrong feet too. I have tried so many different tricks, but nothing has worked so far.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 12:55 AM on Jan. 14, 2011