Do you get the symptoms of low bloodsugar if you don't eat?

I frequently get the symptoms of low blood sugar, feeling weak and shakey, sweating, moodiness, rapid heartbeat. If I don't eat when I'm hungry, if I don't eat something with protein, if I drink caffine... I have to be pretty careful, especially when I'm pregnant, since it happens more often.

Is this pretty normal? It's happened since I was 10 or 11, I have passed both of my gestational diabetes tests without any problems, but both types of diabetes runs on both sides of my family and I am a little overweight.

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 7:51 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Health

• Yes, I do and always have. My brother is the same way so I am assuming it's probably genetic as neither of us is overweight or have diabetes. So I think it's possible that some people are just more sensitive to those blood sugar drops than others. However, when you consider that along with the fact that you do have a family history of diabetes and are carrying extra weight, you should be very careful. I would definitely make extra efforts to get my weight into a healthy range and eat a nutritionally balanced diet, eliminating as many processed foods and sugars as possible.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:26 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• If you get the symptoms of low blood sugar, then you are probably experiencing some low blood sugar. I often do. As a kid and an adolescent I had hypoglycemia that was difficult to manage. I still have a bad day from time to time, but seem to have learned how to balance it all out. Every person is different, so it's best that you just keep track of your food and fluid intake and note your symptoms. This way you can figure out if there's a specific time that it is happening or if certain foods trigger or alleviate symptoms.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:07 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Pick up some granola bars and keep them nearby. I experience the same thing. Caffenie is not the best thing to drink.. its a quick fix, but not really what your body is asking for. Sometimes the symptoms can get scary, feeling so out of wack.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:12 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• yes, sick to my stomach, dizzy, lethargic. I've had my glucouse tested too just to be sure, and it's just a low blood sugar thing. I try to avoid it by eating a couple healthy, 100 snacks between meals.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:14 AM on Jan. 13, 2011