am i in the wrong?

I asked my mil to block my children's pictures from people e doesn't know on her fb and her response was "I'm a proud grandma and I'll share them with the world". I told her until she blocked them properly she was not allowed to see them. I told my df and he was mad at me but I told him he needed to support my decision,his mother is constantly do the opposite of what I want her to do with my children. I guess he told her and she said she blocked them but its been two weeks and they are still not blocked! This woman drives me nuts!!

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 7:52 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• I dont think your in the wrong those are your children & as we all know once you put pictures on the net there stuck forever & anyone can use them for whatever purpose, i know it driving you nuts but try & talk to her come at her in a way that she woont feel as if your just telling her to do something GL
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 7:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• How do you know they aren't blocked?
    No,of course you're not wrong about this - I'm just wondering how you know they aren't blocked....
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 7:58 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Well she is there grandma or nana that is different so you tell her what to do with her grandchildren? Well you are the parent and if you think what she is doing is hurting your kids then you should do what you have to.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:58 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I agree you might want to try and talk with her or better yet have your DF talk with her. I know that when my MIL does or says something I usually have my DH talk with her, She will never listen to me because she doesn't really like me so me telling her won't really help. I think you have every right to ask her to block the pictures, although at this point it might be a battle of wills.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:59 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Shes not on my friendslist and I can view her whole profile, including her address.
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 8:01 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I did have my df talk to her buy he doesn't support mu decision and I don't know if he really did. (He works outta state)
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 8:04 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Oh I do not think you are in the wrong my whole FB is private except the picture and current city. I had to tell my baby sister to hide all that from the world (pictures of my DD) so not everyone and there mama could see them!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 8:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• And why is it that you don't want her to share pictures of her grandchildren?

I'm sorry, I don' t get it - is she posting pictures of them naked in the bath or something that a pedophile would want to see/steal/distribute?

I'm trying to get an idea of why all this is going on - cuz right now it just sounds like a 'do as I say because I say' situation. Honestly, I think she has a grandmother's privilege of boasting about her grand-babies (unless of course she's posting inappropriate pictures, I see no harm in her sharing.) These are her flesh & blood grandchildren, right?

And another question: you told her until she blocks the picture she can't see them [ does "them" mean the pictures or the children?] Cuz if you're keeping her grandchildren from her because she won't give in to letting you control her facebook and/or deny her the joy of boasting and sharing her jo

ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 8:19 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• That last part is supposed to say ... Cuz if you're keeping her grandchildren from her because she won't give in to letting you control her facebook and/or deny her the joy of boasting and sharing her joy then you're being unreasonable. Really, you can take a "cuz I said so" attitude with your children, but I doubt that reasoning is gonna work on your husband's mother.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 8:22 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• It's your kid's pictures. AND SHE PUTS HER RELATION TO THEM AND HER ADDRESS UP FOR EVERYONE TO SEE. That's dangerous. Have her talk to a security specialist at the police station, this isn't a pissing match (as it seems some responders think) this is about your kids. Maybe it would be different if the two of you could agree on an amicable alternative, like masking their identity's. There are two issues, they are YOUR kids so it's ultimately your decision. AND in this instance it's dangerous. Just because you have the right to trump MIL's choices for your kids doesn't mean you should use it, but it doesn't seem to me that that's what this is about. Try and get hubby on board, it sucks to try and make him pick sides but you need to be on the same page or she will resent you as the bad guy. I wish you luck just try and tell everyone calmly and politely how you feel and why. Tell them it's not a fight, it's a parental concern.
    ashleyaction

Answer by ashleyaction at 8:28 AM on Jan. 13, 2011