Sleeping through the night

I am a single mother with a 6 month old and he still won't sleep through the night, he is also teething on top of it. I don't know how to get him to stay asleep and not eat in the middle of the night, he will fight me until the end and one of us has to sleep which is me! I have to be up for work at 5:30 am so it's hard. Any tips on how and what to do for bed time.

Devin0414

Asked by Devin0414 at 8:15 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • Well your NOT going to like my answer, but my 2.5 year old still doesn't sleep through every night. he just now got to a point where he will some nights.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 8:50 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I used Babywise for all 5 of mine and they slept through the night (at least 8 hours) by 2 months. Some people don't like it, but it worked well for me. It's worth a try!

Answer by missanc at 8:52 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• what isbbywise
    MaMaTreZZa

Answer by MaMaTreZZa at 10:23 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Babywise - a book by Ezzo/Bucknam that is a parenting philosophy based on the idea that a flexible routine promotes healthy sleeping habits

Answer by missanc at 10:56 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• CO-SLEEP! You've got no partner to protest or worry about... so, lay down with baby and go to sleep. Many, many babies wake up throughout the night at 6 months, it's very normal behavior and it will probably get worse before it gets better.

My older son didn't sleep through until he was 2 and my 21 mo old still wakes every few hours and I get plenty of sleep! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Sleep is a developmental stage reached in each child's own time. From experience and listening to others the majority of babies sleep through the night closer to 1 yr so please don't think your child is the odd child out for not sleeping through the night yet. During teething there is no way around night waking. Have you tried using Tylenol, teething tablets, or orajel? My only suggestion to you is to get to bed as soon as you put baby down. Cleaning and other things can wait. Good Luck!

Look up Babywise before purchasing.  It is quite controversial.  In certain states it is considered a "red flag" to abuse by CPS and even the AAP has said not to use its practices.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 11:13 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Try not to go to your baby for at least 5 minutes. He might be a loud sleeper and will go back to sleep on his own.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 11:25 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• my 11 month old dd is just now starting to sleep 5 hours straight! they will learn in their own time! sleep when u can and coffee is ur friend! good luck!! oh and for teething, get an amber teething necklace they rock!!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Good luck,. My son is 3 and we still have a handful of nights a month he sleeps through the night..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• get on a schedule.. jax is only 2 months old and after i give him his night time bottle he sleeps for at least 6 hours straight before our morning bottle! everything is trial and error... whatever u r doing right now obviously isnt working, so try something else!
    mommaluvsjax

Answer by mommaluvsjax at 11:39 AM on Jan. 13, 2011