Do your kids...

have access to other computers and other handheld devices with internet access?

as such isn't harder to truly monitor everything they do away from your home computer?

(like accessing sites you don't approve of or setting up 2nd accounts on places like FB or Myspace)

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:33 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Just for Fun

• My sons are almost 18 and 21 and they have had computers from the age of nine and 11 there was no Internet but we were not silly enough to think he would only be on these computers we knew they had friends with Internet and he sometimes went to the library but at the library around here you had to have a card or a parent. we were never foolish enough to think they were not looking at stuff they were not supposed to should not have been and we also realized they might have other fb pages or myspace.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:16 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• My kids have access to the internet at other places beside home. My DH and I have taught them the rules and trust that they will make the right decisions. My kids are 13, 11 and 9 and at some point you have to let them grow up. I believe it you talk with your kids about things and they are tabboo or secret they will less likely to try things behind your back.

For me I think part of the reason kids try to be sneaky is because they feel their parents don't trust them and are trying to keep them young kids, when they are turning into young adults. I know there is lots of bad in this world and if we keep our kids sheltered from it all then when they get into the big bad world they will be lost. Just my opinion.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:39 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• They do. I regularly look at their computer history and their DS' so I know what they've been into. When we first started allowing them to access the Internet, we told them that it was a privilege. They know that it will be taken away if there is any abuse of it, and there are only certain sites they are allowed to go to. If they break one of our rules about the Internet, they will have all access taken away for a month, then they can start earning back time. It's been about 3 years, we haven't had an issue.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:42 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• The most my kids can access are the DS's that they have to crack into Daddy's music. They haven't messed with his ipod and they don't play on the xbox without permission and supervision since the oldest is 8. I'm sure once they get older it'll be an issue, but it also depends on who is paying for that internet service.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 8:59 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• My son's are 16 and 17 and both of them has their own laptop. My husband and I have taught them about internet safety and trust them to make good decisions.
    elliecooper

Answer by elliecooper at 9:15 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• @Scuba... thats awesome, but its only at home right? Away from home, well they have opportunity cuz your not there to say no. Thats the stuff I tend to worry about.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 8:51 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• No. We have a computer for our boys, it's right here in our dining room, it's in plain sight, and has parental controls. I can see everything their doing because we have an open floor plan, and it's right out in the open. Our 8 yr old has a DSi, we didn't buy him, but it doesn't have any internet on it. It has to have a code from our wireless and he doesn't know how to get that. They all have computer time at school, but it's closely monitored. No cell phones, and no computers in their rooms. Our boys are 14, 8, and 7, and if they go to a friends they are NOT allowed to be on their computers, and I have made that very clear with the parents.. So far our 8 yr old is the only one that goes to friends houses, and I'm friends with the parents and they know where I stand on the issue.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:21 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• that cool, Leftlane.
    Even if the parents did let them on (or they snuch on) or if the boys went to the library (assuming its near enough to get to without an adult) you still wouldn't know what they were doing.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 4:15 AM on Jan. 14, 2011