Prescribed Prenatals vs. over the counter.....

Is there a difference? My Dr. gave me some samples and then wrote me a prescription but I know it will be cheaper to just buy some at the drugstore. Is there that much of a difference?

saysmom

Asked by saysmom at 8:33 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I remember my doctold me that there is no difference although at one point the ones her perscribed has 2 one was a fish oil I believe
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 8:37 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Just compare the ingredients. My doctor doesn't even prescribe prenatals, he gave me a few suggested brands, and told me to make sure they had adequate amounts of Folic Acid in them.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:37 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• For insurance reasons I always went with the prescription ones so i could get them for free, but theres really not a difference.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 8:48 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• My first child I filled each prescription they gave me and I could take them. They made me sick. So finally I bought some & had no problem with them. My second child I switched doctor. She asked me if I want a prescripition or did i buy my own. I contuined with the ones I bought. I'm glad I switched doctors and I'd rather buy my own stuff after research. GL
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 9:00 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• i was told there was no difference. as long as they are both prenatal.
    Collegemommy910

Answer by Collegemommy910 at 9:01 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I was told there was no difference between the two
    BlandBaby

Answer by BlandBaby at 12:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• The one my OB prescribed had DHA in the actual vitamin so I only needed to take one pill per day. Unfortunately they made me really sick and the pills were ginormous!!! Plus they had a $20 copay. I just picked up some otc prenatals at the grocery on sale for $6. Much smaller and cheaper and I don't feel so sick when I take them. I'm not getting the DHA but I didn't get it with my son and he's brilliant and sees perfectly so I'm not going to worry about it for the last part of this pregnancy, anyway.
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 1:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2011