Another lawmaker and his family threatened, thoughts?

A Palm Springs, Calif., man was arrested on Wednesday on a federal charge that he threatened to kill Rep. James McDermott (D) of Washington because of the congressman’s stance in last month’s debate over whether to extend the Bush tax cuts.

FBI agents arrested Charles Turner Habermann for making two late-night cell phone calls to the congressman’s Seattle office Dec. 9. According to an FBI affidavit, Mr. Habermann has a history of contacting elected officials and received a warning from California law enforcement officials in March 2010.

“Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, or George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, if any of them had ever met Jim McDermott, they would all blow his brains out. They’d shoot him in the head,” Mr. Habermann, 32, allegedly said in a recorded voice mail message on Mr. McDermott’s office telephone.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:58 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• more toxic rhetoric. like a frickin broken record around here.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:59 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:59 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Once some crazy does it they all have to.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:00 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• My thoughts are that it rings hollow when this only makes a headline after the shooting, even though it's a common occurrence targeting lawmakers on both sides of the aisle. Would we have heard about this if it happened 2 weeks ago?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:00 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• No thoughts. Looks like the system took care of it just like it should. Things do work out when you have people doing their jobs in the first place.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:01 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Good, he should be arrested. Everyone has the right to free speech, but when it becomes a personal threat, lawmakers should take action. He was warned.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 9:02 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• My thoughts are that it rings hollow when this only makes a headline after the shooting, even though it's a common occurrence targeting lawmakers on both sides of the aisle. Would we have heard about this if it happened 2 weeks ago? Answer by NotPanicking

Completely agree.  This was a common occurrence prior to this tragedy.  That's my thought.  I don't think it's right but I am pretty sure that law makers have received threats from the people since the beginning of time. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:03 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• This was a common occurrence prior to this tragedy

This is something that is getting progressively worse in the past few years

and yes, I did read about others 2 weeks ago and further, including Eric Cantor threats

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:04 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• And? There's nobody excusing it, it just happens. Considering the condition of our country for the last couple / few years, I'm not at all surprised that there are more threats. I'm just not going to sensationalize it for any reason. If you feed a stray, it will stay.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Thoughts? I'm glad they caught him BEFORE anything happened.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 9:10 AM on Jan. 13, 2011