I need to see a therapist are there any legit online?

I'm sure I have social anxiety among other problems, and I can't get up the nerve to go in to see a psychologist because of it. Is there any way to get help online?

kristinas8

Asked by kristinas8 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Health

• Can you just go to your family doctor and get zoloft or something? You don't need a psychologist to prescribe these.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 5:59 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I can recommend a FABULOUS self help program that you can order online. It's not cheap, but it's worth every penny and then some. I did it over 5 years ago and it radically changed my life. I do not have a problem with anxiety or depression anymore, and I've been off meds for 5 years. Meds are most often a bandaid, not a long term solution. Send me a message if you want to know.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 6:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I have severe social anxiety as well. My family dr. gives me lexapro and busbar. it works very well. I can't do therapy, yet. I just can't talk like that to people. Try some meds first maybe that will help enough to try therapy if you want. I do wonderfully on my meds.
    Anonymous

• there are some great books, namely "mind over mood" basically what we tell ourselves increases anxiety (and even causes anxiety) or depression. these books help with how to explore one's self talk and how to add more thoughts that lessen the intensity, I used to get panic attacks and stuff like that until I started "cognitive therapy" I don't need any medications. I was also in a support group and we did 'mind over mood" as a class together. Those on medication still had attacks and found that trying to aquire the habits of the course was much more helpful. you can order books online, and remember, avoidance causes anxiety to grow, (your coping strategies shrink..sorta don't use it you lose it, and you need coping strategies as a parent for yourself and for what you teach your kids) so you must find baby steps to get out of avoidance habit.
    Anonymous