How to encourage 13 month old to sleep longer?

My 13 month old has started waking at 5am, as opposed to his usual wake up time of 7am. He's clearly not ready to be awake as he'll fall asleep on my shoulder when I pick him up. Other than CIO, any suggestions to help him sleep longer? He sleeps perfectly fine other than this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i usually put my dd in my bed if its really early i am not sure if that would work for you. but most of the time i am cio person.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:45 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Try putting him to bed an hour later than usual or maybe a shorter nap during the day.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• This is my opinion, because of my own experience! my son is almost 3. He used to have this issue because he was excited about the next day, or because he got used to his mom or dad picking him up and letting him sleep in his arms.. lol stop doing that !! it will be hard but it's not good. Also don't let him in your bed to sleep if you don't want them to be doing that when their 12. i'm series. My parents let me do that and i till this day when i go over there for the night and my dad is at work i sleep on his side.. !! im 23 by the way!! so yeah. we did it for a while and we realized it was a pattern for him! So don't do that!! If your child wakes up ask them what they want.. then tell them its still night time close your eyes and go back to sleep! Hope that works!!
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 11:19 AM on Jan. 13, 2011