V what does this mean????

In the 60s and 70s holding up two fingers (the middle and pointer in a V - palm forward), meant PEACE. Nixon holding up the V, I think meant Victory. Kids putting the horns over the head of a classmate in a picture was a put down.
Now we see the fingers with a V at a sideways-downward angle used by young people. It seems to have another meaning. What is it?
It was on a TV show the other day and the host seemed to think it was not appropriate.
Anyone out there know
I am not sure what category to use!!

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 9:37 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• i think its a gang symbol, kids trying to look cool not realizing what they are actually showing.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:38 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• if it was the pinky and thumb out at a downward angle with the palm facing out : it is a gang sign that you are markign that person for death to be hit. I strayed for a little while in college and my cousin was in a gang when we were teens.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 9:50 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• i think its just the stupid way of trying to look cool these days. i think in slang term it means "chuckin deuces". the pointer and middle finger V shaped, facing toward the person, at a downward angle. some people i know do this when they leave my house, they think its a cool way of saying bye i guess. a lot of girls pose this way in pictures now, thinking they're hot sh*t.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• 2 votes down huh? I just wrote what it means so, for you two ignorant people who are to lazy to do a search and think you already know everything, here are some links. Go learn something!

http://educate-yourself.org/lte/satanichandsign28aug07.shtml

http://www.humanhand.com/articles/hornedhand.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_of_the_horns

goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Goodwitch, you are picturing the wrong hand sign ... which could be why you got the down votes. 

This is what she is talking about ...

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I wonder if these young people know what they are saying when they use this?
    tootoobusy

Comment by tootoobusy (original poster) at 9:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• V holding it up usually means peace........ if it's behind someone's head in a picture - it's something from a long time ago where if someone did this to a man while a picture was being taken it meant that man's wife was cheating on him (but i guess now it's just a way to make fun of someone b/c they dont knwo they have two fingers behind their head). ......... if it's facing downward in front of someone' it's supposed to represent the "A" - Atlanta.
    Mamma2E

Answer by Mamma2E at 10:37 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Every body has a differant meaning for all kinds of hand signals now days so it would be hard to know what they meant.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• It might mean different things to different people, but I think it's usually used to say hello, goodbye, peace out, and stuff like that. I've heard the word 'Deuces', and here's the urban dictionary entries for that word.

Urban Dictionary: Deuces
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• It means a lot of different things ... from the hippies in the 60s meaning PEACE to being the same as flipping the bird in Australia. Modern meanings include being used as a gang symbol.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2011