I work in the payroll department and this is the first check of the year. I found it interesting that my Federal withholding went up by $22.00 a check (even though I raised my number of dependents) My boss making six figures, federal withholding went down.

This is what the Republicans fought so hard for, tax breaks for the wealthy, how is this helping me the average person? They say the wealthy create jobs and make everyone else money, right now I just lost 22.00 a paycheck. Explain this....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Wait, I thought the tax breaks were extended for everyone? I noticed that my federal withholding decreased actually and I definitely don't make 6 figures.
    CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 9:58 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Well, provide all of your financial information and that of your bosses and we'll look at it.

FYI - withholding doesn't equal taxes paid. The actual federal taxes paid must take any year end owing or refund into account. But, I'm sure working in payroll you already know that.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 10:02 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• You did lose the "make work pay" credit, did you forget about that?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:17 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• You can't compare withholding unless both people earn the same, claim the exemptions and file married/single the same. I am an employer and I just finished our first payroll for the new year. The only thing that changed was the deduction of employee paid Soc Sec and an increase in my state's minimum wage. Perhaps your check is calculated incorrectly.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:14 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:16 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• When you get fired for comparing everyones federal taxes to your own and being nosey when i'm sure that isn't in your job description and posting it online will that be the republicans fault too?
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 10:28 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• . I will be calling the company who runs the payroll and asking for an explaination

or

I work in the payroll department

Like I said....I call BS on the anon post.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:29 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Yep.....the rich get richer :(
    dfollin

Answer by dfollin at 10:04 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

you are sooo helpful, and yes I understand taxes and year end. But explain how that helps me pay my bills now, if I will get alot of it back why take it and make me wait for it??
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I call BS on the anon post

You can "call" whatever you want, I am sitting here looking right at the payroll report. and have compared all everyone who had the same number of hours as the last payroll of the year and every one of them has gone up at least $20. I will be calling the company who runs the payroll and asking for an explaination. I wanted to know if anyone else is having this same thing. Some of you people on here (not all) but some just love to be nasty don't you,
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Jan. 13, 2011