When you quit smoking did you put on a lot of weight?

Aquarius80

Asked by Aquarius80 at 9:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Health

• Nope, I made sure to take lots of walks which not only helped control my weight, but my cravings as well. After I got through the initial tough quit period (which was a couple of months for me), I ramped up my workouts and actually lost a lot of weight. Once you quit smoking, it's easier to start being healthy in other areas of your life well, but it's a process.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:59 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• 30 lbs, and I'm furious with myself! I'm thinking I may take smoking up again... It's been 2 yrs and that's the only thing keeping me from starting again.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:57 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• No. When I quit smoking it was part of an overall effort to be more healthy. I had made diet changes and went to therapy to deal with the reasons I smoked. So I didn't replace my addiction to cigs with food. I also started exercising and gave up soda. It wasn't easy but after 6 years I am still smoke free and the spots that were in my lungs are gone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Yes, I gained about 40 pounds but I don't regret it. I was already overweight & have since lost it all, I'm down to a size 6 & have maintained this size since 2003.
    My ds was diagnosed with asthma in 1998, he was 5 years old. His pediatrician, who was also my boss at the time told me that if I kept smoking he could die & it would be my fault. He said even if I smoked outside & came back inside the smoke would be in my hair & on my clothes & that could be enough to trigger an asthma attack. I quit on the spot.
    Talk about motivation!!!

Good for you!!!!! So many moms won't believe that smoking outside doesn't protect their kids. I never smoked around my kids and showered often my kids still has higher carcinogen levels in their blood not much different than kids who were in a home with mom smoking next to them. I quit right then my kids were more important than my selfish addiction to cigarettes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• yes. yes yes yes. But that's because I started eating more. Find something better to do with your time and with your mouth and you will be fine.
    ashleyaction

Answer by ashleyaction at 9:58 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• yes
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 9:58 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Yes I gained 60lbs but that is because all I did was eat. I suggest exercising and drinking a lot of water!!

TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 10:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

Talk about motivation!!!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 10:11 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I only gained about 10 lbs. when I quit smoking, but after 7 years of being smoke free my weight has been up and down in that 10 lb. range so I no longer blame the gain on quitting smoking.
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 10:20 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• some
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 12:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2011