• In the Spotlight:

Does anyone know a good fine motor skills tutor in San Francisco for our first grader?

StacyJMcCarthy

Asked by StacyJMcCarthy at 5:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I do not know of one. I do know that you can try a few things at home that might help. For my son we started with dropping clothes pins into buckets. the better he got the smaller the open got.

Not sure if it will help you. Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My child had poor dexterity in his fingers when he went to kindergarten. Some of the things they had me do for fine motor skills were:
    1.) Have him pick up pennies
    2.) Write with a slant board while on his belly.
    3.) Use a clothes pin to pick up misc. items such as pom poms, cotton balls, or any soft small things.
    For large motor skills start with a large ball 12-16 inches. Practice rolling the ball back and forth with your child and start bouncing it as he is ready. Riding a bike/tricycle also is large motor skills.

Hope this helps. Also do a google search for 'childrens motor skills by age' this should let you know what stage your child is at and if paying someone is needed or not.
    Also if your child is 3 years old they should get FREE help through the public school system. (BY LAW).
    Historykeeper

Answer by Historykeeper at 11:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• of course what was said above is good advice.

I would go through your local school, even if your child does not go yet. they have services that can first evaluate your child then put a program in place. even if it involves some type of occupational therapy or physical. Before 3 you can use early intervention from your state, after that its more of a Federal funded program through public school. My son needed it too.

You could probably get all the information to get started online. your state abbreviation then . GOV.com is a great website that has a lot of information including school. (my state is Massachusetts so its Mass.Gov.com)......private stuff can be good, since your child will go to school its even better to have them involved and everyone on the same page. Good Luck!!

Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 17, 2008