Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about my property

i put an actual private property no trespassing sign from a store on my front door of my home. If someone that I dislike and I unwelcome to my home comes on my property, even pulls car in my driveway, do I have the legal right to call cops, have person removed from my land and press charges?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (10)
  • Depends on what state you live in, you need to check your local laws.

    Answer by scout_mom at 10:27 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • Only if you bought the sign from the store and didn't paint it yourself.

    Answer by SuperChicken at 10:27 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • Of course, you can call the police. That does not mean that charges will be brought. You can ask that they be but it is usually the call of the police or the magistrate. You have to have a reason.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 10:28 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • Check your local municipality/state laws.

    Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:30 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • I would suggest using the police non-emergency number and you can call and ask them. They would likely be able to help you more than anyone here and the last thing you want to do is look unstable for calling the police for someone pulling into your driveway. If you are concerned about someone, create a paper trail and if there are any laws violated, then you can report them.


    Answer by QuinnMae at 10:31 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • I live in Trout Run , PA (williamsport area) My reason is that I don't like this person and don't want him around me. don't want any trouble or anyone getting hurt around my kids . basically to keep safety and peace at my own home.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:35 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • If this person makes you fear for the safety of you and your children, you should absolutely call the police (again, non-emergency number if you aren't in imminent danger) to find out the best way to deal with the situation.


    Answer by QuinnMae at 10:37 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • if this person came to my home being unwelcomed , all heck will break loose!

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:38 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • quinnmae, what do you mean by a paper trail. ??

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:41 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • By paper trail, I mean that if you are feeling threatened and you want to make it so that the police take you serious when you call them, you should make it known that this person is a threat to you and your family. Even if you have to start a journal to note times and days when this person has contacted you and what they said that was threatening, that is also helpful. If it comes time to get a restraining order, this information can be helpful. And in the worst possible case where someone is hurt, you have some sort of paper trail that can give investigators leads. If you are asking if a sign will make something stop, it can deter someone that is reasonable, but a sign or a piece of paper is just that and can't actually stop anyone from doing what they want.

    I wish you luck and safety. 


    Answer by QuinnMae at 11:11 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.