I owe the IRS whaaaaaaaaat?!?!? But But But.....

So dh has been checking the mail religiously hoping to get his W2. I told this man that his company loves to wait until the 31st to actually mail them out. Dh checks the tuesday, and in the mail a letter that read Internal Revenue Services.

He got happy---nuh uh homey your W2 does not come like that. We opened it and it read that we owe the IRS 600 and something odd dollars. How the hell is that??

ooooh wait I know how. Last year I worked for about 4-5 months. When we went to H&R Block to have our taxes done we brought in BOTH W2's and explained to our tax preparer that I worked only for a short time and that we were filing as "married filing jointly" and we wanted to make sure we covered everything. What did our freindly neighborhood tax prepareer do? She took one look at my W2 and said, "Oh you haven't made enough to make a difference, so we're not going to file this." So we do not file, but dh opts for the insurance just in case.

Um she's the pro here so I guess thats what I'm supposed to do? Eeeee WRONG!! Here we are sitting with a letter from the IRS and H&R Block says, "It's her word againts yours and do you know how many people we get saying that? Even if she said it, do you really think she'd admit it knowing her job is on the line? Yes you bought the insurance but it does not cover this. Honestly, you'll most likely be the ones paying this, not us." <~~~Says the MANAGER.

WTH!!!
So now i'm seething mad!! Dh says I shouldnt fly off the handle. "Look babe, at least we can pay it back with this tax return. Calm down." He says.

Am I wrong to be to damn mad??

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 10:43 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• UGG DH owes fed. and state back from 05 when he worked construction and was young and dumb and no one explained that he had to pay taxes himself!! We are FINALLY going to be able to pay it all back this year and im sooo ill over it!! But im glad its over with! Owing is NO fun, and I would be pissed with HR block, but for future reference I would just do it yourself online! And if ins that you purchased doesnt cover this issue WTH does it cover?!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Did you have zero withholding when you worked?
    I can't see how not filing made you owe in to the IRS

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I would be FURIOUS. Take it to the top. That's robbery. The principle of large companies not having to deal with the small fish they fry. You are not another bug to squash. That's criminal. They didn't warn you about this? She flat out told you it wouldn't make a difference. I'd be mad, and I wouldn't let it go either.
    ashleyaction

Answer by ashleyaction at 10:48 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Yes, it will tell you how much was withheld. It does seem really strange that it would be that much of a difference. When I worked only a short time it was state that we had to pay into, not federal. However, I did work at one school that didn't hold out any federal and I had to go back and request that they do so several times.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:49 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I'm not sure. I still have my W2 because dh held on to all our paperwork.
    It would say so on my W2?
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Yea that doesn't make alot of sense unless you made alot of money and if thats what happened you have the right to be mad and thats why people should not use those places taxes are easy to do
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Try getting a letter in the mail saying you owe $560,000 dollars. Yep, that would be my husband. Its a bank error that has been following him for years now. There is no way to fix it. The bank has changed hands 7 times, and no one knows where his information is to fix it. Its like a heart attack everytime I open the letters they send.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:48 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I'm having a really hard time believing that any accountant/tax preparer would advise you not to file a W2. It just doesn't make sense. I mean that's pretty basic.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:49 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Sweet jesus MKSers.. I'd be punching walls and grinding my teeth.
    Dh made right under 60,000. Again I'm not sure if this makes a difference but it just doesnt seem right to me.
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I would love to find out we are only gonna owe 600 this year...it's probably gonna be over 6 THOUSAND
    *sigh*

Anyhow...why would you not file your w2? I mean honestly -better safe than sorry
    even if this woman said it wouldn't matter, I would still have put it on there-then no is no reason for dispute or for the IRS to bitch, but that's just me...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:53 AM on Jan. 13, 2011