What do you think of this? - President Obama's speech

This is an excerpt of the speech President Obama gave at the memorial in Tuscon yesterday. Do these words give you pause to examine the way you speak to and treat those of opposing viewpoints?  

How can we honor the fallen? How can we be true to their memory? You see, when a tragedy like this strikes, it is part of our nature to demand explanations -- to try and pose some order on the chaos and make sense out of that which seems senseless. Already we've seen a national conversation commence, not only about the motivations behind these killings, but about everything from the merits of gun safety laws to the adequacy of our mental health system. And much of this process, of debating what might be done to prevent such tragedies in the future, is an essential ingredient in our exercise of self-government. But at a time when our discourse has become so sharply polarized -- at a time when we are far too eager to lay the blame for all that ails the world at the feet of those who happen to think differently than we do -- it's important for us to pause for a moment and make sure that we're talking with each other in a way that heals, not in a way that wounds.

cleanaturalady

Asked by cleanaturalady at 10:44 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• – collapse
    it's important for us to pause for a moment and make sure that we're talking with each other in a way that heals, not in a way that wounds.

---
    I want a clarification on his definition of " us" please.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:46 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• The words are great, but Obama is well known for his ability to talk, it's the getting things done category he's not so good in.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:46 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• For a full transcript of the speech, go here. 

cleanaturalady

Comment by cleanaturalady (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Great speech and it was great for their community...hope it translates nationally

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:53 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• We will see if his actions match his words. His past behavior of calling the other side hostage takers and participating in the hateful speech does not make me think his actions will change. Hope it does. You can't preach a message like he has when you behave as he has in the past.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• i'm with scout mom he talks a good talk but that's about it
    ihave10kids

Answer by ihave10kids at 10:53 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I stopped and STARTED to think maybe he was being sincere and maybe he is not as bad as I have always thought.... but like scout said, he is know for his ability to talk, and he is good with words, but I don't think he was sincere, I think he is going to jump right back into these political arguments and get to working on taking another one of our rights away... the right to bear arms. It makes me so sad that these things happen but we will all have to pay for it if he has his way.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 10:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• See the problem is that Obama is a "do as I say" type person...not a "do as I do". IMO his words are just blah blah blah.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:56 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Good speech writers. You didn't think he actually pounded that out himself on the old iMac did you? lol
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 10:57 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I like it.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 10:59 AM on Jan. 13, 2011