nursing school and newborn

If you've been there, or know someone whose been there... do you think it's possible to go to nursing school full-time and also have a newborn? If the school is willing to work with the student, and the student has a great support system. Program would start end of may... baby would be due second week of june.

Mamma2E

Asked by Mamma2E at 10:50 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Anything is possible but I think it would be really tough. Everyone I've known that has gone to nursing school has told me how demanding it is and newborns tend to be pretty demanding as well.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I wouldn't start that semester. I would wait until AFTER your baby is born. I been there, done that. It's possible, but I suggest you wait, or whoever it is, because that way you can spend time with 'your' baby AND then decide when 'you're' ready to leave him/her with a sitter to go to school. It takes A LOT of dedication and commitment, but 'U' CAN DO IT!!!! The community college I went to didn't care if I had a baby, most people there have children, we were all there for the same thing, to learn, they weren't going to give me more priviliges than any other student. Whatever 'u' decide to do, goodluck =)
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 10:58 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• How would the school be willing to work with you? Would they let you do distance learning for several weeks after the birth? Because pushing yourself to go back to school just days after giving birth will put your health and life at risk. You do actually need to recover and that can take several weeks on the short end.

It also takes several weeks to get breastfeeding established and baby to the point that they can take a bottle and *most likely* be fine going back to the breast afterward. Will the school give you time to pump and a place to store milk? Or, will they let you bring baby to class?

You also might underestimate just how hard it will be to leave a very young baby. Doing it at 6 weeks is the hardest thing in the world for some moms...doing it earlier has got to be complete torture. Will you be able to focus on school while being worried about baby at home and if she's doing okay.

All things to think about.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:59 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Thanks for your responses. I was asking for myself. The school said they were willing to work with me and gave me time to make a decision... It is an accelerated program that starts every May so I would have to wait a year until 2013. I had to decide last week and told them I would choose to wait. In my heart I believe I made the right decision for the baby but some days I question if I really did the right thing or If i could have made it if only i pushed myelf. Thanks again for your honest and encouraging responses.
    Mamma2E

Comment by Mamma2E (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Jan. 13, 2011