im a little upset by this and i dont know if i should be or not.

my x husbands parents have been very invovled in my sons life. which is great. they take him to myrtle beach every year for a week when they go on vacation..thats great. well now they want to take him to disney world in march...im a little upset by this. my xh wont be going. i feel this is something one of us parent sshould do with him and my x knows ive been thnkin about it. i feel bad for being upset because my son would have a good time. i just think the parents should be the ones.
am i wrong?

devonsmama1

Asked by devonsmama1 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• HMMM. Hard questions. Were you planning on taking him? If you were and they "took" the idea I'd be mad. But if it wasn't in the plans I think I'd be okay with it. Maybe if you explain to them your desire to take him there first they would chose another destination. Good luck with your dillema. Im just not sure there is a right answer.
    JennyJenny529

Answer by JennyJenny529 at 11:01 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• No, you aren't wrong. Parents should be the ones to experience the first visits of big places like that. Gparents already had their turn with their own kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• hmmm. good question i think its something when my kids are old enough id wanna do with them too. but many ppl feel differently about it. Its nice his grandparents offered. but i think it is something you should do. dont be upset by the question its a nice gesture just say thank you for offering but ud rather take him. if its his first time going do u really wanna miss his laughs and excitement. i wouldnt but thats just me.
    MommaSammie

Answer by MommaSammie at 11:23 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Can you afford to take him right now? If its something you were planning on doing soon I would just tell them that.

But if not I would just let them take him so that he could go and have a good time. Not saying it wouldn't make me feel bad that I couldn't but it sounds like this is something that they have been doing and just thought it would be nice for him.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I think you should let him go. What if something happened to him before you were able to take him to Disney World yourself? You would then have to live the rest of your life with the regret that you deprived him of what is almost every child's dream. He is going with people who love him and who will see to it that he has a really good time. He will have the excitement of sharing his trip with you. We sometimes want the experience ourselves and we can let that desire overshadow the fact that Disney World really is for children. Look at it as your gift to your son, and maybe that will lessen the sting of your having to stay behind. The other alternative would be for you to ask if you could tag along with the grandparents and the son. That way, you could all do it together.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:31 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Could you go with them? You and your son could stay in one room, they could stay in another, and then you could all go enjoy the park together. I don't know how close you are to them, or if that would be awkward, but it sounds like a good solution.
    JessiFaye

Answer by JessiFaye at 11:34 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Well if they can do it, why not let him go and have a great memory? When you can take him, you can too! My kids go one weekend every month-2months to their grandparents house and get to garden, feed chickens, etc. Things they don't get to do with me. And although I wish I could provide that, it's something special between them.
    SwePea

Answer by SwePea at 11:35 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I totally understand why you would be upset. Is it something that you could go with them? I am not sure how close you are with them or if this is even an option. That is what we ended up doing. My oldest sons grandmother, who treats all my kids the same, wanted to take them to disney. So my DH and I talked with her about it and we ended up going together. We had a great time, we went to some of the parks by ourselves and others she came with us.

If that is not an option then I would think about it and maybe let him go. I know the problem is this is first time and you want to see the excitement on his face when he goes, I totally understand that.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• You letting his grandparents see him/ do things with him is a nice thing to do on your part HOWEVER, I understand that as a parent YOU want to do fun things with him as well. I am a BIG Disney World fan and it is such a special thing to take your child there.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• No, you're not wrong. You have ever right to want to experience certain experiences with your child. It is wonderful that his grandparents are soo involved and are willing to take him to all these places. However, that doesn't mean they should take him everywhere, especially if it's his first trip to Disney. If you want to experience his first trip with him then just say so. I'm sure they'll understand. Even offer if you can come along, that way you're still letting them experience it with him as well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2011