Pacifiers & 2 year olds (no bashing please!!!!)

DD is due to be 3 years in about 7 months. She whines about having a pacy, and if she doesn't have one she cries for hours on end. Sometimes I give in, because it's frustrating hearing her cry. How do I break this habit, and not let her have a pacy? She is entirely TOO old to have one, even her little sister doesn't use one!

I'm not here to get criticized, i'm here looking for ADVICE, please no bashing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have to tell you my DS had one until he was 4 years old. He only used it at nap time and bed time. I tried taking it away when he was 3 years old and he cried just like your DD. I talked with his doctor and she said that as long as he was only using it at night and nap time it was okay. My son used it because he has severe case of eczema and it helped him to not scratch when he was tired.

When he was 4 we told him that we had to collect all the binki's because the binki fairy was coming and she needed to take them. So on his birthday we put the binki's out for the fairy and she left him a small gift. It worked get and one day a few months later when he found one he wanted to leave it for the fairy.

I think if you can get her ot only use it when she is taking a nap or sleeping that would be a great start. If you totally take it away she might start sucking her thumb in its place.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Ear plugs,

Distraction,

Bubbles, cars, dolls, crayons, bubble bath, good luck!!!!!
    I actually told my kids one of the puppets from Seaseme Street needed the pacifier and that they were too big...

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Wont get bashing from me I am in the exact same boat!!!! I let my others have it til 3 and then became the witch that took it away... right now Colin is yelling for it cause it fell on the floor and I am not getting it for him...I am currently flying on my brook stick cackling away at him... that is what he is thinking right now anyway....hahahhahaha!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 11:18 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Maybe you could try to do a sticker chart like some parents use for potty training. Each day without it gets a sticker on the chart. Crying and throwing a fit gets stickers taken away and then after so many stickers you take them to the store to get a special prize or a day out with mom. My SO's cousin just took her 2 yo's away and they made a cake and she got to help her mom make it and frost it. They turned it into a big girl no more pacy party.
    azksmomma

Answer by azksmomma at 11:26 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Flat out stop. I'm not bashing because my Ds had a pacy need until her was 18 months. It would get so bad that if we lost his pacy in transit, we would have to pull off to a store somewhere and buy another one. No good lol.

Take it and DD is just going to have to go through pacy withdrawals.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 11:05 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• a lot of people are going to say "just let her have it, what's the harm, she won't go to college with it" and so on and so forth. i personally do not agree with this, but to each their own.

since you are looking for ideas how to get rid of it, you could try the "binky fairy" approach. gather up all the binkys, have her help you and explain that the binky fairy is going to come tonight and give them to all the babies who need one.

i personally got rid of them around 1 year, and by this time they were already only using it at bedtime so they weren't super attached anymore. i may have had to deal with 2 nights of crying but it didn't last long.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Don't put yourself down about it. My sister's 6 year old sucks his thumb and still brings his "blankie" everywhere with him. Go cold turkey. Throw away every pacifyer in the house and don't buy another one. When she asks for one tell her you threw them away because she is too big for them now and they will make her teeth come in crooked. Some little girls are vain enough that this one gets them every time :)
    Robbiesmommy83

Answer by Robbiesmommy83 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Did you try having her throw it away or burying it or even "mailing" it to a needy kid ( tell her that ) ..... You could explain to her that big girls doesnt need pacis anymore, and then get her a gift for giving it up ( something for a big girl )
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 11:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Just limit it to in the house- I don't think 2 or even 3 is too old. Geez- Mine are in high school- trusts me, you don't want them to grow up too fast!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:17 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Throw it away. She'll cry for a while but she'll stop eventually.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:19 AM on Jan. 13, 2011