Jobs.

It seems like it's getting harder to find a job. I'm a SAHM and getting ready to go back to work and it's hard to get hired in my field. I know it's a problem is Las Vegas too. Any one else having this problem?

surfngirl

Asked by surfngirl at 11:07 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• The unemployment rate keeps going up and it is very discouraging. I do have a few suggestions, though (I do career and job search coaching).
    Number 1 is networking; Cafemom is a start, but you need to actively seek out people and groups that can help you meet people who can connect you to someone hiring. Less the half of the available positions are posted on the job boards; you need to get out and find the others. A profile on Linkedin is a must!
    Number 2 is having a great "elevator speech". This is a 15 second introduction on who you are and what you are looking for.
    Number 3 is a great resume that tells the reader who you are, what you can do, what you have accomplished, and how you can help.
    Number 4 is great coverletters tailored to the position/company.
    Number 5 is using one of the meta search sites, like Indeed or Simply Hired, to comb the job boards for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I've actually had the opposite problem.. I have received calls this month asking me if I'm willing to return to work.. I'm a former social worker/case manager, the need grows when more and more people are receiving some form of public assistance, when abuse rises, when homelessness rises...etc.. all the things that have been happening since the economic downturn.

I wish you luck on your job search. :-)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:12 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I am currently working but have recently checked out whats available and the job market here (in indiana) is lacking as well. Good luck!
    JennyJenny529

Answer by JennyJenny529 at 11:20 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I am wicked blessed to have a job GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Everyone is having this issue. You need to look EVERYWHERE, even outside your field. Even in a field you might not be qualified for. You never know who will give you a chance and train you. Beggers can't be choosers, especially in this economy.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:56 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

•  

There are lots of great tips in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837  

Answer by rkoloms at 8:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Maybe read about learning better interview skills. I'm currently back in college and took a class on interview skills... It was very helpful
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2011