Switching to whole milk

DD is turning 1 year on the 29th of this month. She currently uses soy formula, but I am not exactly sure if she is lactose intolerant. When should I start giving her milk, and should I try her on cows milk or just still stick to soy milk since that's what she's used to? She eats food with dairy in it (yogurt) and she's fine....so I'm not sure.

knicole0708

Asked by knicole0708 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My youngest was on soy, and his doc said to switch him to milk, and if he showed any signs of trouble, to contact them. He started life as lactose intolerant, but now he's a milk drinking fool. (He's almost 3, now.) Especially if she's eating yogurt, she should be fine to start milk.
    If nothing else, I'm sure you'll be taking her in for a 12 month check up, so you can hold off and ask her doc if you want. She'll be fine to continue the formula until then if that's what you decide is best.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 11:19 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• my youngest 4 were like that, on soy... i would gradually add whole milk to the formula, and ounce at a time until they were 100% on cow milk GOOD LUCK :) oh and they handled it just fine
    ihave10kids

Answer by ihave10kids at 11:15 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I would start introducing the milk before being completely out of formula. She isn't going to be satisfied as she is on the formula.
    My 15 month drinks the next step enfamil formula for nap and bed time. If not she is so grouchy.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:25 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Chances are that if she handles other dairy products fine, she should be fine on cow milk. Just start gradually mixing the cow milk into everything.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:20 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• She wouldn't be lactose intolerant (though, she may have a slight lactase deficiency until her body is used to taking in lactose again), she would have been intolerant of dairy proteins. Which, many babies are and most outgrow it. Has she outgrown it? No way to tell until you try. I'd mix 3/4-1/4 and build up from there. Watch for diarrhea, diaper rash, eczema, extra mucus, behavioral issues, etc...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:21 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I stil have 2 cans of formula left, should last until 3 days before her first birthday. I'm guessing it should be just fine, to start giving her milk, after the formula is gone (= thanks ladies!
    knicole0708

Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Seems like she can have either Soy or Cow. So whatever you choose, or both.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:23 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Thank MKSers!!!! I didn't think about that, I have my oldest daughter, but it seems I forgot everything from when she was her little sisters age LOL!
    knicole0708

Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Personally, I think since her body is already used to soy that I would stick with it. That way her body doesn't have a negative reaction from cows milk. Cows milk can be quite disruptive when first introduced, especially if the type of formula used isn't milk based.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:54 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• If she has other dairy, I am sure the cows milk is fine.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2011