Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are other states like this too?

OK I live in NH and am wondering if people in other states run into the same thing? Our state (as many do) has state offered health insurance for kids. Under a certain income level it is free (they call it NH Healthy kids Gold) and they also have a buy-in program where depending on your income you pay so much per month and the child is covered through a typical health insurance company (they call it healthy kids silver and it was thru Harvard Pilgrim last time I checked).
Now my problem is that is seems every time I talk to someone I get a different answer as to whether or not DD is eligible. Does this happen in other states?

Should there be an exception if you get wrong information?


Asked by NHRachel at 11:33 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 14 (1,413 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • We have a thing called Coverkids here (Tennessee). If you make under a certain amount, you get it for free. If you make above that, it costs 245 a month. Both of my kids are on it. My son is free, but my daughter is 245 a month. Figure that one out.

    Answer by makelineerror at 11:45 AM on Jan. 13, 2011



    Here would be the best way to get your answer. It has a chart for income limits as well.



    Answer by Charis76 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • It's medicaid basically. A government assistence program. Each state handles it different and goes through different insurance companies. The insurance companies also have the option for you to go through them specifically or through medicaid and then through them. Ours is called "Michigan Healthy Kids". Every state has this option. What you need to do is go to NH's state website, go to the section for DHS, and go to the medicaid option. Then apply. That is the only definate way to find out if you're eligible or not.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:51 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • I'm in NY and we have the same thing here. Over here it's called Child Health Plus, if the parents are using it then it's Family Health Plus. I actually have it for me & my girls. Depending on your income level it's either free or you have to a certain amount each month. Here you get that insurance through Social Services. My advice would be to go down to your local Social Services Office - or where ever it is that you get the insurance - ask them. See if you can set up an appointment and deal directly with them. You can also check to see if they have a website with the information on it. I know for our there's a website with a chart so you can look up your income and see how much if you at all you have to pay.

    Answer by Jessica45 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • We have something called..Healthy Steps here in North Dakota...Our neighbor has here 2 dd's on that...

    Answer by girliemom0406 at 12:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • Charis76 thanks I went there first, but it only gives information on income. What they have decided is that because she has had any form of employer sponsered health insurance in the past 6 months she is not eligible. If he had lost his jib, then she would be, but as he is still employed and they still offer insurance - even though it does not cover us where we live - she is not eligible. This was a question I asked when I called and they told me that since it did not cover her in NH it would be considered a loss of insurance. But that is not the case.

    Comment by NHRachel (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Jan. 13, 2011