should i take him to the E.R.

MY SON WOKE UP WITH A NECK PAIN.. HE'S BEEN CRYING SINCE HE WOKE UP WITH THAT PAIN SHOULD I TAKE HIM TO THE E.R. OR SHOULD I DO SOMETHING AT HOME TO HELP HIM WITH THE PAIN??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Call the pediatrician since it is a weekday, they will advise you best in this case. In the meantime, some children's motrin to help with the pain.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:49 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Call the peditrician!!! Tell them exactly what is going on, and if he is crying in sever pain, head to the emergency room.

As for my self, I would have called the doctor and had him seen... Usually you don't cry unless you are really hurting, I have had a wierd feeling in my neck but never cried.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• If you have time to ask, it's NOT an emergency.
    I would try motrin, a warm compress to his neck and maybe a shoulder rub... he probably slept wrong.
    If in an hour after trying all of that he's still up set... go to the CLINIC... not the ER.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:50 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• He might truly of slept on his neck wrong and has stiffness. I would call your pediatrician and see if they want you to bring him in. Since this wasnt an accident of some type, unless he fell yesterday,,,did he get hurt yesterday somehow? I would call ped and go from there...good luck and I hope he feels better!

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:51 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I deff think that you should just call your pediatrician. They will advise you from there.
    ashleyaction

Answer by ashleyaction at 11:54 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Have him try putting his chin to his chest, if he screams out in pain and cannot do it take him to the ER immediately, that is a sign of viral meningitis. If he can do it then he probably just slept on it wrong. Good luck and hope he feels better soon:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 11:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Give his ped a call and put a hot compress on it. Some motrin might help also. If he had a fall yesterday and now its hurting then you should take him in. I would call and just try to get a same day appointment.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I would call and see about getting him to the doctor. Cause it might be something really wrong or just slept on it the wrong way but better safe than sorry.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 12:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Call your doc!!!! (FYI:If it's muscle always use ice for the first 48 hours at least - vs heat as some have said here)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2011