Why is my cat peeing outside the box?

We have a chair in a spare bedroom which had a deerskin hanging over the back and one of my cats has been peeing in that chair (no where else). I do know that he is also using the box because I've seen him in there. Do you think it was the deerskin? I removed it but he still has tried to go in the chair, but now his smell is there. How can I make this stop and how can I clean the chair to eliminate the smell. My vinegar/water solution didn't work. TIA!

marshsmom

Asked by marshsmom at 12:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Pets

• I would go to a pet shop like Pet Smart and see what they recommend.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I would have him checked out. Some times if a cat gets a UTI he will pee in odd places either because he starts to associate the litter box with pain or they are trying to show you something is off in that area. It could also be stress and he is showing out. Is anything new in your house? Company? New baby?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Now that the chair smells he will probably continue to go in it. You will probably have to get rid of the chair.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• But_Mommie, we foster homeless dogs so there is always something new. In the past he has been really laid back but we recently got a CRAZY foster dog (I can't wait till he is adopted!). I'm going to get him checked by the vet anyway, he's about due for his yearly. Thanks!
    Marwill - I was afriad of that :( My husband will be hugely disappointed since this was a chair handed down from his father.
    marshsmom

Comment by marshsmom (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I'd have him checked out, but it was probably the deer skin and now that he has marked his scent on the chair, that is where he wants to go. If you have a garage or basement, move the chair and clean it with a mild bleach (if it won't hurt the chair) and water mix. Leave the chair there for a little while and then bring it back and see what happens. You could also try sitting the chair outside for a few hours or a few days and see if that helps.

One of my kitties just got over a UTI and he is still insisting on trying to pee in the floor. They are stubborn creatures but I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

GL!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:33 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• There is a special cleaning product that is for animals and it have enzymes that take out their scents . He just spray it like febreeze and the cat will not smell his scent and good luck the pets sometimes are worst then the kids.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 3:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• My cat was also peeing out of the box - I thought it could be a urinary infection - but the cat goes in his box , then he butts up to they edge and urinate outside the box. I brought a bigger and deeper litter box . Giving him more space to turn around to do their and he has not pist out of the box since.
    jojana807

Answer by jojana807 at 12:17 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• id take him to a vet if u can afford it, and good for you homing doggies too .. good on ya momma
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Cats are very particular about there litter box make sure it is cleaned daily bc if they feel like it is not clean enough they will go else where and the reason I believe he is still being where the chair and deerskin was he still smells the scent no matter how strong of detergent you get to get it out...check out Petsmart for advice. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:32 PM on Jan. 14, 2011