Another daycare question...

As a home daycare provider do I have the right to say something...I have a 2 year old that comes to my daycare in shorts, socks, shoes, either a sweatshirt or a Spring/Summer jacket...We live in North Dakota..It's below freezing here...Now do I say please dress your child as it is Winter out or do I say nothing out of respect that it's not my child?

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Daycare providers are mandatory reporters of child endangerment. You need to care more about the well-being of the child than the parents staying your client. Say something to the parent, tell them about some local 2nd hand stores they can get clothes at, and suggest that if they drop their child off in inappropriate clothing you will report them for child endangerment.
    Robbiesmommy83

Answer by Robbiesmommy83 at 12:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• you say something. It might loose you a customer, but tell her that you are bond by state guidelines to take care of the children's health and well being while they are in your care. There is a season appropriate dress code at our day care. You may want to look at state and county guidelines to see if there is anything already in place. You can tell her not to be offended that you are just covering yourself. GL!
    ashleyaction

Answer by ashleyaction at 12:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• You have every right to remind the parents that the children play outside daily and that they need to make sure their child is dressed appropriate for the weather.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I agree with But Mommie. I always sent a mix of clothes with my kids and we live in California!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I'd be furious. I'd say at the drop off " um we try and get a little fresh air no matter the weather, even if just for a few minutes. These clothes are not weather appropriate. Do you have something else in the car or can you run something over on your lunch hour?"
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I would say something. Also, tell them you need to have back up clothes that you keep in the closet that consist of_______ and you can dress the child appropriately. I think if that wouldn't work, I'd have some 'junk' clothes (stuff you don't really care if you see again) available and dress them in that and send them home in it. You can tell them that they were cold so you pulled out whatever you had.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 12:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Do you think the family is having financial troubles? If you do you could go to the good will and tell them your situation and see if they have any appropriate clothing for the little guy and every time he comes under dressed send him home in the clothes you got from the good will. If you don't think there is a money problem then definitely talk to them.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 12:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Absolutely say something. In NY that would be neglect and you are considered a mandated reporter. Plus it is common sense to dress your child for the elements....they are probably the first to complain when their child gets sick too!
    dahodgmom

Answer by dahodgmom at 4:55 PM on Feb. 27, 2011