Do you think people who whine all the time about where their lives should have gone ever really tried to make that life happen?

I mean I here people complain all the time about how they had to drop out of school, jobs e.t.c. because they either got pregnant or some other thing and then spend the next 20 years whining about it instead of doing something about it.

peace013

Asked by peace013 at 12:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• My personal opinion.

Everyone's life is made of the sum total of their choices in their life.. Yes, there are things that happen beyond our control.. However, how we respond/react to those things is completely and totally in our control.. Life's choices are very rarely a choice between "good" or "Bad", it's usually a choice between the lesser of 2 bads, or the lesser of 2 goods.. Even when the choices before us are all completely crappy choices, we still have a choice.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:38 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Most of the time it's easier to make excuses than to take action. I am sure some people try to improve their situation and things get in the way. Excuses don't change things though.  I agree with pixie.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:41 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I do. Not all people, but some people. Maybe a spouse died, maybe they where let go from a job they loved and cant find work now. Maybe they worked really hard to afford that home and now are underwater. Lots of different reasons people feel disconnected from their dreams,,,and ever bringing those dreams back to reality. Sometimes it takes a lot to get back on your feet after something that you worked so hard for has been taken away from you.

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• It comes down to personal responsibility.

I have met more former low income people WORK their way up and are now business owners, CEO's, successful career agenda's.... Why? Because they took personal responsibility for ALL of their actions and worked hard to acheive their goals... IMO, Some are ok with low expectations and not working hard to 'make a name for themselves' and move up career wise, personally, etc... That's fine... But I don't understand why some complain about their "class position", personal life, when it comes down to many are a product of the CHOICES they have made.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Thats exactly right we make are own choices so complaining that its someone or somethings fault is just hiding behind your excuses.
    And I live in the real world and do not hide behind nothing not even Anonymous buttons
    peace013

Comment by peace013 (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I never whine about my life I am where I am because of decisions I have made. Some choices good some bad but they are my choices and I accept responsibility for my actions. I don't expect others to pay for my choices and bail me out I get up on my own feet and do it myself. The only really bad choice a person can make is to give up. Hard to overcome that choice.
    Anonymous

• I was going to say no, not really. But, then I remembered you said those that whine. So, yes, I agree. I was going to say some that aren't where they'd like to be, want to be, aren't there for lack of trying isn't so true because lots of things happen that are out of one's control. And many people get so caught up in the emotional aspect of things, like the loss of a spouse, and they just can't recover. Not everyone can recover from tragedy like others. So, they just don't have the internal strength to try any longer. But, those people don't tend to be the ones to whine, either.
    The ones that whine tend to be the ones with a sense of entitlement, and when they don't get what they want without working for it, they whine and bitch about it. Or, they are the ones that DO have the ability to overcome a tragedy, but just become lazy, and think someone else should pull them up. And when no one does, they become bitter. And whine.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Wow... it must be nice to live life with no regrets. Here in the real world though, lots of dreams get shattered... and for millions of reasons. You can't just assume they're a "whiner" and "never really tried".
    Anonymous