Do you struggle with being judgmental?

How do you handle not judging people?

EwansMommy

Asked by EwansMommy at 12:50 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• You know, reading through the answers, mine included, we all automatically jumped to the negative judgments that we make. All judgments are not negative. That is something that we all need to remember, myself included.

For instance ... you see a baby. You decide (judge) that the baby is cute and will probably coo at it. GOOD/POSITIVE judgment.

Another example ... choosing our mates. We hope we are making good judgments when selecting our mates.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• We're all human. And,whether we want to admit it or not, we all judge, usually on first impressions, be it online, or in real life. And, it's not that we judge someone, it's what we do WITH that judgement. We all want to believe we live by the golden rule, of treating others as we want to be treated, but the cold, hard truth is, we all slip up,and let that judgemental spirit out, either in hurtful words, or actions. Everyone should strive to try not to be that way, but, as I said, we are human, we slip up, we make mistakes. It's when it becomes ongoing and the person doesn't seem to care, when it becomes a problem. Great question, by the way.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• i don't struggle with it. its a normal characteristic everyone has. some tend to be more judgemental, and others, less so.

however, it doesn't take much more than a quick glance in the mirror to see your own faults, be it physical or unseen by the human eye.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I used to struggle with it all the time, I have since gotten better. The reason I used to be so judgemental is I felt like I had to judge everyone negatively before they judged me or hurt me in any way. It was a low self esteem issue on my part and I had to realize that not everyone out there is going to be a bad person and I shouldnt judge someone just because I am assuming they will some how some way hurt me.
    mitchellb

Answer by mitchellb at 1:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I try not to and usually something will enter my mind and I'll quickly repent of it. My mind is in a renewal process and when this happens I will think something, repent of it, and say something or think of something nice about the person. I handle it by remembering that I am also human and we all have our imperfections and need to worry about our own imperfections rather that others. I also try to remember that if a correction needs to be made to someone..in terms of guidance, etc. it needs to be done in love, after prayer about it, and without judgement. Often I will want to say something then think about how it may be taken and change the wording or decide not to say it at all. Of course we all slip once in awhile but we get back up and move forward. I also try to remember to always apologize when I realize my mistake.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 2:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• We all judge. I try every day to be less judgemental. I take every moment as a learning moment...and hopefully I"m getting closer to being the person I want to be all of the time.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• i don't struggle with it. everyone's judgemental whether they can admit it or not. I just keep my judgements to myself...unless asked, then i'm honest about how i feel about it. Sometimes honesty can open our eyes to new ways of thought or making a change we desire.

and on a public forum like CM...why not be honest when people ask things? Mature, intellectual debate is good. And sometimes even some venting is good too. I know my husband would rather me vent on here (like he does his men's forum), then to him when it's about something somewhat trivial.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:39 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• It's not a struggle for me; I try to be the best person *I* can be, and don't concern myself with how others conduct themselves. It's not for me to say how someone else should live their lives, I can only control how I conduct mine.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Remember how I would feel if it were me and know that I don't know exactly what is going on in their life to judge them....

It is very hard and I have to remind my self alot, but I am getting it...

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Thats so hard for me in my life right now! My co-workers drive me crazy! I have one spreading lies all the time, I have one sleeping with my neighbor, who is my old boss...and she is married. I need new healthy relationships, I really need some normal friends I do keep my opinions to myself, but inside, these two gals drive me nuts. To see my co-workers truck in my back alley on the way to my car, every Saturday, cause they had a quickie,,makes me nauseous,,,sorry, Im trying!

Anonymous