I would really like to know

I'm a natural worrier, I have anxiety b/c this is my first pregnancy. I've made it to 23wks-3days so far, I was just reading another post about 2nd trimester loss, though rare, it kind of frightens me...at 23 weeks and 3 days should I still worry about cervical incompetence? Or does that generally happen at a earlier point. :-|

Cowbell88

Asked by Cowbell88 at 6:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I think you would have known by now. i'm sure nothing is wrong, I'm a worrier too but the further and further along I am the more I know how rare such complications really are. It's just that people who have had such bad experiences like to talk about it. I read in a book that 90% of all pregnancies are completley normal, so don't worry!
    Anonymous

• you would generally know about it sooner. don't over worry yourself! :) **hugs**
    Anonymous

• @ : Anonymous thank you. :-)

yeah at my anatomy ultrasound i had a 3.6cm cervix, so obviously it wasn't short, but that was 4 and some weeks ago.
    Cowbell88

Answer by Cowbell88 at 6:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• If you've been checked and your cervix is normal (and I would certainly hope they would have told you if it wasn't), there is no reason to worry about this. When you catch yourself thinking scary thoughts, visualize a stop sign and then replace that thought with something more soothing and calming. For example, instead of imagining losing your baby, imagine holding our new, healthy, full term baby in your arms 17 weeks from now.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 6:17 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• :) I used to watch baby shows all the time and I would have nightmares about things like chimera babies, and parasitic twins and all sorts of stuff.

Anonymous

• @ bluefrog,
    thank you for that thought, that's very creative. :-)

i had a pap last night and the doc's exact words were "'your cervix looks 'nice and closed'", at 23 wks, it's closed...damn this worrying! lol
    Cowbell88

Answer by Cowbell88 at 6:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Most are diagnosed early in the second trimester, so you're pretty safe. :)

I worried about every possible little complication when I was pregnant (and even more before!), so I just made sure to educate myself on the warning signs of different things and asked my doctor and nurses lots of questions. If your cervix decides to open, you can't really stop it, but if you catch it early enough, you can come through just fine! Knowledge is power!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2008