Story from Austrailia flood, 13 year old hero dies while telling rescuers to save his little brother first, thoughts?

Jordan Rice was only 13, but when he realized not all of his family could be saved, he ended up making the ultimate sacrifice.

As floodwaters rushed up around him and his family, the Toowoomba, Australia, boy -- who was afraid of the water -- made a decision that would cost him his life: His little brother should be rescued first. Rice and his mother were swept away and drowned in the country's massive floods this week.

"Jordan can't swim and is terrified of water," his father, John Tyson, told the Toowoomba Chronicle. "But when the man went to rescue him, he said 'save my brother first.'"

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Tyson said he was heartbroken but proud of his son. "I can only imagine what was going on inside to give up his life to save his brother, even though he was petrified of water. He is our little hero."

Rice is being hailed as a hero today after he gave up his life for his younger brother Blake, 10, when his family's car got caught in the floodwaters that have so far killed at least 15 people and left 70 others missing.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• sweet-a-kins

• Oh. More cafemom tears.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• God bless his precious heart! He is an inspiration to us all, and showed maturity,and concern for others far beyond his years. I feel so bad for all the people there, dealing with those floods. My prayers are with them all. Thanks for sharing this story, by the way, sweet. I was needing something inspirational today.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I can't imagine his thought process..being so young,,,,

This story is beautifully heartbreaking,,,,,

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• It goes to show that no matter how much we don't think our children listen to us, in a time of great need they can rise to the occasion. What a heart breaking story for everyone involved. My heart and prayers go out to his family and all those who have lossed loved ones.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I read this last night and cried. Just cried again.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 3:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• "Greater love hath no man than this, that he lays down his life for his friends."
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 4:50 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• He was what is the better of human beings. As sad as his parents are, they should be equally as proud.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:32 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• What wonderful unselfish love he had for his brother!! I am so proud of that child, and I do not know him.
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 5:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2011