Is a hairstyle worth the fight?

Our son's hair is getting long (for him). He has beautiful golden curly hair and I LOVE it! My husband keeps asking him if he wants to get a hair cut or he will say "Hey, how about a haircut?" Our son keeps saying "No! I'm growing it out." (He's just turned 4 so this is funny to me.) And my husband isn't too concerned by it, he likes to play with his hair just like I do so it's not a big deal. But people make comments, you know, and I'm just wondering if we really wanted him to get it cut and he REALLY didn't want to, is hair worth the fight?

I personally don't think it is. At least it's not a tattoo or piercing, right? ;-)

EwansMommy

Asked by EwansMommy at 12:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Your son is a cutie! I would not force him to cut it, it's not like he's got hair past his shoulders or anything. I'm not sure why so many people think little boys hair should be buzz cut short.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• He's 4. I wouldn't be allowing him to make these decisions yet

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Does he hear mom say that about her hair maybe? Does dad talk causually about how "Guys" go for a haircut when there hair gets long ? Fight no-I'd act like it is no big deal (or it WILL become one) but it may just be a control issue--he realizes he can say no and that will be that--it feels good to have control when your 4 or 5. I'd try talking about guys and gals and hair CAUSUALLY then ask again later.
    gram22

Answer by gram22 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• we just got my sons hair cut at 2 and a half he had ridiculously long and curly hair... people kept calling him a girl and we got tired of saying 'oh hes a boy' so we just cut it. now he looks like a whole different kid!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 1:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Not worth the fight.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• If he wants to grow it out, let him, I think it's cute too. The people making comments about it should mind their own business.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• little boys with long hair are so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! let the kid decide
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Let him be who he wants too be, if he is fine with it, then don't worry.

My son had beautiful curls at 1 I cut them, because even though he wore all blue clothes, everyone said how beautiful she was.. HUH, omg, he is a boy..... LOL< I just was tired of it....

Now he is 7 and likes the top a little long. Which is fine with me, he has a few curls. :) Good luck....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I don't think it is worht the firght either. I mean it is just hair and at some point he may want to cut it. When my oldest was in 5th grade he had a mohawk and now he has long hair. After the play he is in he is going to cut is again. I think it is a great way for kids to express themselves without doing something to drastic.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• How can I force the little prince into cutting off these curls? ;-)

EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2011