Are you concerned about the credit rating of the US? Do you understand it?

Two leading credit rating agencies on Thursday cautioned the U.S. on its credit rating, expressing concern over a deteriorating fiscal situation that they say needs correction.

Moody’s Investors Service said in a report Thursday that the U.S. will need to reverse an upward trajectory in the debt ratios to support its triple-A rating.

“We have become increasingly clear about the fact that if there are not offsetting measures to reverse the deterioration in negative fundamentals in the U.S., the likelihood of a negative outlook over the next two years will increase,” said Sarah Carlson, senior analyst at Moody’s.

Standard & Poor’s Corp. on Thursday also didn’t rule out changing the outlook for its U.S. sovereign-debt rating because of the recent deterioration of the country’s fiscal situation. The U.S. currently has a triple-A rating with a stable outlook at both agencies

~~~

The US has too much debt.....  

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes I am concerned and I directly blame progressives in congress and the white house.

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• LOL credit rating..

A vote is going to be happening in regards to raising the debt ceiling.. Why.. (in laymen's terms... lol) The US has so much debt we can't make our monthly minimum payment so the government has a choice: raise the debt ceiling so we can borrow more money.. In essence borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.... or....not be able to borrow money and have to shut down a whole lot of programs that the American people don't want shut down....or... the whole country just go tits up. Really this is the state of our government when it comes to $$ If these were my accounts or yours, we would be in collections, and on our way to being sued for past due monies owed.

At this point. There are no palatable choices in how to deal with this issue. It's a become a choice between: bad choice A, bad choice B, Bad choice C.. lol

Right now. The Us borrows around 7 dollars to get 1 dollar to spend. This insanity can not continue.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• yes, I understand it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

•  The U.S. currently has a triple-A rating with a stable outlook at both agencies

well now....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

well now....

Answer by sweet-a-kins

Something tells me you didn't read about the FUTURE outlook, and DO NOT understand overall...   Thanks for answering.. ;o)

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• The U.S. currently has a triple-A rating with a stable outlook at both agencies well now.... Answer by sweet-a-kins Something tells me you didn't read about the FUTURE outlook, and DO NOT understand overall... Thanks for answering.. ;o)

We all know what happens when we assume....but that is our rating NOW and the NEW budget isn't in yet so its all conjecture...Since the global economic crisis is waning......I think the future outlook will be adjusted in a positive way

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• All together now...boy that CHANGE and extra spending worked wonders.
    Anonymous

• yes and yes..ITA with pixie trix
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 2:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Yes, I'm concerned about it. I don't fully understand it, but I know this much -- we have too much debt. We need to stop spending money like it is Monopoly money and pay attention to the fact that we are in debt up to at least our eyebrows. Cut unneeded expenses (that is something I'd be very happy to help with -- say good-bye to the DoE), learn to live on a shoestring budget, and pay off the debt. Above all, DO NOT RAISE THE DEBT CEILING. Borrowing more money is a very bad idea.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I don't fully understand it myself, but I DO agree that we have too much debt, and we can't keep borrowing. The day will come when we ask to borrow and whoever we want to borrow from will say no--and then what do we do?
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 4:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2011