What is a better way to handle this situation?

I am trying to get my bonus son in to a routine for his day. He gets up and gets dressed, feds his pets, eats breakfast, goes to the bathroom (if he hasn't already) brushes his teeth, and gets his bag ready for school. If he follows this routine in the am he's not late for the bus and the day is good for him.

When he comes home from school he has a choice, half hour or tv now and homework and no tv for the rest of the night or home work now and then he can watch tv later. When my husband is home the whole routine is out the window,

How do I get my husband to see that the routine is working when its followed and that by doing things for the little guy isn't helping him?

I don't want an unhappy home I want a home that runs reasonably well and with the least amount of tantrums.

Steph1977

Asked by Steph1977 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Relationships

• I would def sit down with hubby and get him to understand....help him to see how much better his son is doing with a routine....tell him how great it would be if he got on board with you and you two could provide a united front. I went throught his with my own daughter by heart...we got it all worked out and he finally saw the light..
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 8:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• What do you mean by bonus son?
    Anonymous

• Bonus son is the new term for Stepson...Bonus Family...Blended Family...

Get your hubby a book on raising kids...kids thrive on routine and boundaries, with clear, consistent age-appropriate consequences.
    tomsbride

Answer by tomsbride at 6:42 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I have this problem too so i really don't know what to tell you. I have sat down and talked to my husband nicely about this and it didn't help and then it got to the point where I got mad and raised my voice at him and it still didn't help. So let me know if you figure something out. ;)
    nfutter

Answer by nfutter at 7:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• i think life isn't always going to be structured as you would like. you can ask you husband to read a book but i think your going to have to loosen up a bit. men are hard to change.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2008