confession from a 16yr sahm

On days like to day the inequity of this marriage is palatable....

For 16 yrs of sahm'ing I have kept a company ready home, I have done laundry daily (including hand washables), I have served home cooked meals 90% of the time, I have run the kids to every event, taken care of every home repair, etc.  And I could continue along this path until the day I die and NEVER be able to repay my husband for this blessed life I lead.  My worse day sahm'ing can not even compare to his best day at work.  I owe his SO much!

I was offered a job last year and he asked me to consider not taking it... to continue what I do because he feels it is important for the family and eases his mind knowing that everything at home is taken care of and running smoothly.  I did not take the job.

Are there any other sahms that feel this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• some days, i'd agree with you. but, i've only been doing it 6mos...so..who knows?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• LOL I thought this said 16yo sahm and I was reading your thing and read, "run the KIDS to every event" and I'm like, DAMN, At 16?? How many kids are there??

HAHAHAHAHA Sorry.
    Anonymous

• Hahah I thought this said "confession of a 16 year OLD sahm" LOL. I was going to say...
    Anonymous

• After 14 yrs of doing my SAHM job, I wouldn't change it. Our boys are better for it, and when I die I know if I had worked full time outside the home my tombstone isn't going to say "she was such a great employee". It will hopefully say "dedicated wife and mother"...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• LOL... nope Im WAY older than 16.... my child is 16
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I've been a SAHM now for 13 years; kids in college and junior high. I do it all, and I mean ALL, just like you, plus I take on some consulting projects every so often if they don't intefere with things around here. My hubby does appreciate all that I do; honestly, he couldn't do all that he does if I wasn't home and I couldn't stay home if it wasn't for all he does BUT he would like for me to work (though would never pressure me to do so) outside the home. I'm certainly OK w/that, if it was the right job, you know,something that would be worthy of my time and devotion. The problem is that hubby would still expect me to do it all when it comes to the family and the household - have sort of "been there,done that".. Oh, he says he would help but 25 years of marriage has taught me otherwise. That's why the joke around here is that I'll go back to work when I get a wife!
    Anonymous

• I feel that way and I have only been a SAHM going on 10 years of our 25 year marriage..

I'm at home, my only is grown and has moved out of state for college.I stay at home because my husband provides me the choice.It's my choice whether I want to stay at home or work.. My choice is being at home, me being at home is just as important to my husband and our relationship as it was my son (me being home for him).My husband's hard work, is what provides me the luxury of choosing what I wish to do with my days. If it were not for him working to offer me that choice, I would not have it. My days can never, never compare to my husbands. My days are free to do as I please, thanks to him. His days, are still on a time clock, he still has to answer to someone else a certain amount of hours a day, he still has to deal with the stresses of work that go along with the difficulties of work itself.I appreciate it all & do my best to show it
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I wish I could say I keep that nice of a house, it's close only takes an hour to get everything in order when company comes. I do try. I have started cooking almost every meal myself had to teach myself to cook before that could happen). It's too bad your husband doesn't like his job but I'm sure that makes good motivation for you to have everything in order for him.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 1:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• It sounds like you are very blessed to have a husband who appreciates you so much. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I have been at home for 38 years, and I couldn't agree with you more. Even after all our children had left home, my hubby still wanted me here, and that's where I have remained. It is indeed a very blessed life.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:32 PM on Jan. 13, 2011