How can I see the light, so to speak.

I am a single mother of 4, I have ADHD, my oldest has ADHD and my middle son I think has it also. Just recently I have really understood what ADHD really is and how it effects my life. I was never medicated as a child for ADHD, just in the last few years I have been medicated when I stay on top of it. My question is, how do I see the light at the end of the tunnel? I feel so overwhelemed and scattered. How do I make life just a little easier for my family when all of us pretty much has ADHD. My two youngest children Im not sure about yet if they in fact have it to. Any suggestions or advice I would really apprecaite!!

addmomof4

Asked by addmomof4 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• just take it day by day. things will get better. i don't know what a person with adhd goes through everyday but i would say keep taking your meds and I'm sure that will help you. i think its great that you have posted this question and i hope more moms can give you a better answer then i did. i hope things get better for you and your family.

Christieluv0614

Answer by Christieluv0614 at 1:16 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Look into homeopathy as well as the taking the advice of your doctors. See which one works better for you. Also know that regardless if you stress out or handle the day calmly it will still end and a new day will come :)

jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I have it but very mildly for sure. What I do each day is make a list of things I want to do and I try to put them in the order I want them, its not perfect but it helps keep me on track a little bit. Try doing something like.
    Get a routine for parts of your day, breakfast and bedtime routines help too.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 1:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/.
    You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org ) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective. We recently discovered that magnesium supplements also help.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:32 PM on Jan. 13, 2011