How do you cure a leaky gut?

leaky gut is a hypothetical and unproven medical diagnosis based upon a theory on which there is a condition of altered or damaged bowel lining, caused by toxins, poor diet, parasites, infection or medications, which has led to increased permeability of the gut wall to substances which normally remain isolated in the lumen away from the body's internal circulatory or interstitial areas. NSAIDS  such as asprin are known to erode the gut lining and cause inflammation, other medications such as corticsteroids suppress immune function and disturb intestinal flora, and antibiotics indiscriminately kill bacteria causing bacterial flora disruptions in the small intestine.

It has been proposed that, when substances such as toxins, microbes, undigested food, waste or larger than normal macromolecules leak through an abnormally-permeable gut wall, they affect the body directly, while others postulate an immune  reaction to these substances.

Although commonly diagnosed by alternative practitioners, leaky gut syndrome is not a recognized medical condition.

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 1:50 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Health

• More information please.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Are you referring to leaky gut syndrome? Have you identified the culprit(s)? Are you sensitive to gluten, casein, soy, or other things? Do you suffer from candida overgrowth? More info please.
    Anonymous

• I have a lot of candida overgrowth. The doctors cant seem to find anything wrong with me yet I still have abnormal paps. The dr's are now just saying for me to have a hysterectomy. When I ask why they say, "Well you've already had your kids so you don't need it."

35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2011