What is the best way to punish a 9year old for being a smart mouth & talking back?

alyssasmom32

Asked by alyssasmom32 at 6:25 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Take stuff away its what i do. she backmouths me baton classes are gone, she then has the rest of the time to earn it back. if she whine or smarts off again girl scouts goes, then school field trip and finally the trip to grandmas at thanksgiving. If your child has something that they trily love or enjoy and the sass off take it away for a week. see if that helps hope it does
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 7:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Mine just turned 10, and OMGOSH is that a toughie or WHAT!?? I do what the above suggested and do NOT BACK DOWN. Taking away what they *most* want (she lost overnights with her Grandmother even!) seemed to work. I tell her too that I will NOT tolerate disrespect, and that I love her enough that I want her to grow up to be well liked and respected herself.

Good luck!
    daydreamer61

Answer by daydreamer61 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• man oh man wall squats, push ups and community service do wonders for a sassy mouth!!!
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 8:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• A spanking and grounding.
    surobb

Answer by surobb at 10:59 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• We give a warning, maybe 2 if we are goofing around, and then it's a nickel per smart remark. It goes in the jar on a shelf in my kitchen. I keep telling them that they're gonna take me out for ice cream w/all the money. Luckily, they are pretty good kids and the money thing works really well w/them.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:12 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• So what to do when you have removed all "things" and they still backtalk partly because they are bipolar or ADD or other mental and/or health challenges? So you take away and they claim to "not care" I hope for us it is just a time thing and the hard lessons will be learned!!!
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 12:21 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Take things away that she likes to do most. And for every time she talks back, send her to room or make her do chores in the house. She needs to learn. Maybe you and her should sit down and tell her that you are THE BOSS and she is the kid. what you say and ask to do, she is to do it or she will be missing a whole lot of stuff and maybe she sees that you are serious about it. If you have other children and punish your daughter, you need to tell her that its not fair to her siblings and that she is not a role model if she is the oldest in the house.
    mrs.beautiful51

Answer by mrs.beautiful51 at 9:38 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My mom used soap and I tell you that worked pretty well. People say OH, it's child abuse. No, it's not. It just tastes horrible. It is the equivalent to forcing your kids to eat vegetable that they don't like, although they have done nothing wrong when they have to eat their vegetables. Trust me, it will work charms.
    mscottsmom

Answer by mscottsmom at 9:50 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• ummm, I'm from a different school on this one. My children understood that I made the rules and rules were made to be followed. They also understood that they had a right to add their "input". sometime they tried to get smart, but, you can always express your opinion without being rude and if you insist on being rude your opinion will not be considered. I don't know, I don't know exactly what the child is saying, or how they were saying it. All you're saying is that he's being a "smart mouth" and "talking back". Every one is entitled to their opinion. I used to say, you can do this happily or you can do it with an attitude, but you are gonna do it.

Star419

Answer by Star419 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I have a 10 yr old stepdaughter that is the same way, I tell her to get out. I make her sit in the backyard for a while and she changes her tune very quickly. Some times when I send her out there I tell her to pick up the backyard. She goal is to remind them that they are children. Once she refused to start picking up the backyard and I told her she will not come back in until she does. Another thing that works is not getting angry. Do not yell or show them that you are upset. If you do they will have the control. I also like to tell her to go to bed. This stuff may sound harsh, but my SD thinks the world revolves around her and she also sees me as an "equal". That's why I try to give her childish punishments to bring her back down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Nov. 13, 2008