At what age is it ok to start milk?

My son is 8 month old and he is starting to refuse his formula. It is the same one he has been on since he was about a week old. I know alot of people say not till a yr old but when is it ok to start milk? We use 2% milk which is also what wic gives for milk. My 8 yr old niece wouldnt drink her formula after about 5.5 months old and she was ok with just milk. I was wondering when its ok and when did u start?

nikkik526

Asked by nikkik526 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ask your doctor

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• My 3 boys all started on milk after their 1st birthdays and after I got the 'ok' from their pediatrician.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• i started my daughter at a year of age but i dont see that it would hurt if u did go ahead and giving it to him
    echokays

Answer by echokays at 2:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Is he strictly bottle-fed or does he eat food also?
    Yes, the guideline is 1 year. Maybe mix 1/2 milk with 1/2 formula and gradually switch to just milk. That is what I did w/my 1st...she was 11 months at the time.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• we started weaning my daughter off of her formula at about 8 months, but we didnt giver her 2%. they had us give her whole milk. and we still mixed it with the formula. her doctor told me that most kids will get constipated if they are given milk to early or if they arent weaned properly.
    meglynn0919

Answer by meglynn0919 at 2:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• they should be 1 yr for regular milk. there are nutrients and what not in formula that they still need for there brain to develop correctly. they either need breast milk or formula till 12 months.

Christieluv0614

Answer by Christieluv0614 at 2:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• at one year and whole milk. wic will give children whole milk when they turn 1 up til their 2nd birthdays. do not give a 1 year old anything less than whole milk, they need the extra fat for healthy brain development.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• 1 year old. You do half milk half formula. You can get the ok from your ped doctor.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• We started at 8 months. By accident... We had ran out of formula without realizing we were low, my DH had put 2% in a 4 oz bottle and she just never went back to formula. They want you to use whole milk, but my daughter won't drink it... We have a 100% healthy 25lb 1 year old daughter... Do what you think is right for your baby.
    ProudMom1.13.10

Answer by ProudMom1.13.10 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• usually you can start around 11 months and half formula and half milk
    make sure its whole milk unless you use soy formula
    19angie74

Answer by 19angie74 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2011