I do I let my teenager who just started driving know that I trust him with driving but am also looking out for his safety when I do not permit him on the snowy slippery roads? When I say no and explain he says I am using it as an excuse to say no to him.

lilshelby

Asked by lilshelby at 2:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Take him to a nice empty, icy parking lot and give him a skidz course. Make him nice and sick, then let him try driving on the ice and see how he does.
    Robbiesmommy83

Answer by Robbiesmommy83 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• All you can do it tell him your reasoning. I can think of many times my dd didn't like my reasons and walked away mad but at 21 she has already said that she understands now why I did things that I did.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Teenagers are too cocky on the roads and don't really know what snow driving is about. I agree with the idea of taking him to a parking lot to teach him how to deal with driving when it's slick. Then go out with him (with him driving) while it's slick, several times before letting him go out in it alone. (And PS if you still don't feel comfortable with it and/or it's your car and/or your insurance - then still tell him you don't feel comfortable with him driving in it yet.)
    Anonymous

• my car, my car insurance, my house, my rules. Have a nice day now,,,lol, but really, sometimes they are just gonna fight us till we say enough!
    Anonymous

• My 17 yr old is the same way. I tell him oh well, too bad.

Answer by gemgem at 2:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Thats the mindset of teenagers for you. In his eyes, you just want to make his life miserable...when really all you're trying to do is protect it! Does he know that teenagers will likely get in an accident within their first year of driving? I was in 2, my sister was in 1, and I think its held true for just about everyone I knew when I started driving. Inexperience, immaurity, lack of knowledge, and just plain stupidity all play a part...not to mention the OTHER drivers. If you say no, then that means no. Your reason is valid. One day he'll thank you.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• mine is just taking his license,,,, sigh,,
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 2:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Love love these answers ladies!!! I will do the parking lot thing never thought of it and we have one just down the street ! its so good to know that Iam not alone with this teenage hell I seem to be going through with him..He is a great kid but dam he can push the buttons better then all of the toddlers I watch during the day put together! Thanks for the advice everyone!
    lilshelby

Comment by lilshelby (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I would take him out driving on the snowy roads. Tell him that when you feel completely comfortable riding with him in the snow, then you will be comfortable in letting him drive on his own in the snow.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I agree with all the other posters....teens are too cocky and think they are indestructible....its your car, insurance and rules....say no and mean it.....and if he is mad...so what...you are not there to be his friend...you are there to guide him into making good decisions and becoming a conscious adult.

So I say, GOOD JOB being a parent and saying no!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2011