Sales tax help!!

Ok so im starting a jewelry business but I dont understand the whole tax thing. It will all be sold online and I want to set up paypal for payment method but I need to figure out the whole tax thing before I can get this off the ground....Im so lost....I guess I should take a business class lol. If anyone knows please help....that or links that can explain it would be wonderful.

Thanks Ladies!! You guys are life savers!

Shelii

Asked by Shelii at 2:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• Visit your state comptroller's website.
    Anonymous

• Look up your state or county tax. Maybe go to your states government page for information. Here in Ohio, you have to apply for a license to collect tax. I'm not sure about the online stuff though. You can always ask an accountant if you have one.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Go to your city web site and they should have some info on taxes for your business. Tax in every city is different. I know my city is at .08 and the town next to us is .075
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• You can also log onto www.irs.gov for more information.... I believe you can look up your state's tax from there also :)
    TIFFANYT1432

Answer by TIFFANYT1432 at 3:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I think the issue is she could be selling to someone from any state, not just her own.
    Sorry, I have no answers. Google away.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

Sorry, I have no answers. Google away.

Agree. That information should be on her state government page.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 4:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• You would need to register the business with your county clerk's office, it's a DBA (Doing Business As) and gives you permission to run a business under the name you've chosen. Once you have the DBA you can fill out the forms your state requires for a tax id (if your state has sales tax, some do not)! This is a certificate giving you permission to operate your business, collect sales tax and PAY sales tax quarterly or annually to your state.

I looked up your state in your profile....go here for info and forms: http://www.rev.state.la.us/
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Thanks for all the help. Ill check out all the stuff you mentioned.
    Shelii

Comment by Shelii (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• You need to get a Federal Tax ID number from the IRS; check with your state's department of revenue regarding sales tax for your state, and any states that your state may have reciprocal tax collection agreements with. You will probably also need to file papers to incorporate in your state, and likely you will also need a city business license.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2011