Should I get DD immunized?

Where can I get more information?

surfngirl

Asked by surfngirl at 3:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• We chose not to have our children vaccinated. However, there are pros and cons to both sides of the coin and it's a choice that you need to make ONLY after being educated on those pros & cons. Here is some basic information and a place to start your research. And I also recommed you take the time to watch "Vaccines: The Risks, The Benefits, The Choices"

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• That's a very personal decision, but getting educated is a smart choice. I choose to have my kids vaccinated on a delayed schedule, so they aren't getting so many shots at one time but sometimes finding a dr that will do that is difficult.

Answer by missanc at 3:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I agree with missanc. Its a personal decision that everyone needs to research accurately and decide what's best for their child. Dr. Sears is a doctor from California that came up with an alternative vaccine schedule different from the AAP's current one. The vaccines are given in a more spread out pace, over a longer period of time. For example at 2 months old, the AAP recommends 6 vaccines to be administered. That is OUTRAGEOUS in my opinion, however Dr. Sears has it set up so that no more than 2 different vaccines are administered at one time. That way if the child has a reaction, it is easier to figure out which vaccine caused it, instead of having 6 to guess from. You also need to decide if you feel all vaccines are necessary. For example my son won't be recieving the chicken pox vaccin because rarely it becomes serious. The risk of a reaction from the vaccine is greater than the risk of the disease IMO. Cont...
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Like some of the PPs said, do talk to your doctor but make sure he/she is not the only person you talk to because they will most definitely encourage you to vaccinate. YOU need to research th sides boand decide what the best decision is for your child. And never ever vaccinate while a child is sick or if they have a compromised immune system. Also know that there are many natural proven ways to prevent disease as well.
    Anonymous

• There is so much information on the pros and cons that you need to be SURE to read multiple sites. there are very few neutral places to read info about this. IMO delayed vaccs are the middle of the road and if I had it to do over that is what I would have done. Just be sure to do lots of research before making your choice.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• That's a very personal decision. I would talk to your child's pediatrician and get them to give you as much information on it as they can. See if they can give you reliable websites to look at online and pamplets. Read up on all the pros and cons to each vaccine. I choose to vaccinate my child when the pediatrician recommends, just as my mom did with me. It's whatever you feel is best.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• These are all things you need to think about. Talk to your DD's pediatrician about it and ask for more information. The websites provided are good. www.askdrsears.com is another. We have chosen Dr. Sear's schedule for my son...it was actually recommended by his doctor and we have been all good so far. He's 18 months old.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• That is completely and totally up to you. Arm yourself with knowledge but know that for every pro-vaccination source you can find anti-vaccination sites. And that the "research" done in England linking Autism to vaccines is bunk because the Doctor lied about his research.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• i think this is a great place to start your research    http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/additives.htm

that is the cdc section that lists most of the ingredients in vaccines.

from there, i would investigate each ingredient.

also, look up adjuvants, i am not sure if they are included in caccine ingredients.

I would also look into several different resources, those that are pro vaccination and anti vaccination, so you will have a better picture for yourself.

happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2011