Abnormal Ultrasound at 20 weeks..? :/

My little sister is 21 weeks pregnant and her OB called her today to tell her she had abnormal ultrasound results -- something about an extra chamber in the baby's heart -- and warned her of the risk it has of Down's Syndrome. She is completely beside herself and freaking out.

Has anyone else been through this? What are the odds that it IS Down's Syndrome?

MommyHess

Asked by MommyHess at 3:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Your sister should be able to have an amniocentesis to find out for certain.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Yes, but she isn't sure she wants to. That wasn't the question.
    MommyHess

Comment by MommyHess (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Well its really 50/50. However ALOT of the time, Drs are wrong about a child having Downs. That's why many people opt out of the testing all together because there is a high false positive rate. As far as an amnio goes, there are risks to that as well. Legally doctors HAVE to inform you of the possibilities of something being wrong so that you cannot sue them if there is and they never warned you about it. I'd ask your sister if she could still love her baby with all her heart even if something was wrong...if her answer is yes, well then the rest is in God's hands. Good luck
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• That's exactly what I told her. If she WOULDN'T keep her, then do the amnio.. If she doesn't care, then it doesn't matter. But she is still freaking out about it. It's only been a few hours since she got the call.
    MommyHess

Comment by MommyHess (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Any time you hear news like that it is so scary :( The tests really aren't that accurate, so if she wants to do further testing she should do it right away to alleviate her fear or confirm whats really wrong. Heart defects can be fixed, my niece had heart surgery when she was a few weeks old and is now 2 and doing amazing. I also know a lot of Down's children and their parents and all of the parents are so happy they have their Down's child. It doesn't mean they wouldn't be happy with a "nomal" child, just that they love them no matter what. I know a father who came back from Afganistan to take care of his Down's baby. They had gotten only normal test results and didn't know the baby was going to be Down's. The mom couldn't cope by herself so the daddy came home on emergency medical leave. I get the feeling if they hadn't let him come home he would have shot himself in the foot to be with his wife and baby at the time :)
    Robbiesmommy83

Answer by Robbiesmommy83 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Robbiesmommy: That is sooooo sweet about the daddy in Afghnistan. The stuff I've seen online, it appears there is only about a 1% to 3% chance the baby actually has Down's Syndrome. The doctor is scaring the hell out of her though. I just wanted to get some insight from parents who have been through this before. I thought there would be more here.
    MommyHess

Comment by MommyHess (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2011