Is this normal behavior for a 2 going on 3 year old?

We are excepting twins so I have begun getting gifts and preparing for the twins. Today I found my son sitting in the playpen that is for our twins. I ask hiim to get out but he was acting as if he did not hear me. I do not want to punish him but he is trying to sleep in their room. I trying to figure out a way to make him know he will not be forgotten at the same time show him he is now mommy big boy.

karing4elmas

Asked by karing4elmas at 3:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i had one of my 2 year olds play in the crib before the baby was born, but he did not play in it after she was born. he may just be exploring the new furniture. i did tell my son he couldn't be in the crib. i suppose if you are pregnant with twins you probably shouldn't physically remove him from the crib yourself, but if any other adults are around, maybe they could.
    congratulations and good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Yes, he can tell other babies are coming and he isnt going to be the star anymore, He is subconiously reverting to baby hood.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 3:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• It is norml he is probably feeling like its all about the new babies try taking him out spending one on one time & discuss how much fun its going to be a big brother GL
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• It is normal behaviour from a child who knows he will have siblings. They are not even here and he can see you love them so much. He was the only child for 3 years. I don't think you can wash away his concern but you can ease it. I hope everything will be ok with you:) Hugs.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 3:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• sounds completely normal, sounds like he just sees that you are doing a lot for someone else and not for him, Im sure its hard. I would give him a project or two to help with in the babies room, and let him play with something in there, or do something to feel like he is a pert of it too. Maybe have him paint some pictures and frame them and put them up in the baby room or something. Just something to make him feel special too. Let him help pick things out, keep him as involved as possible. Instead of getting upset when he is the crib, ask him if its going to be comfy enough for the new baby. Stuff like that.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 3:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Yea this is normal behavior. He is jealous of all the attention the new babies are getting and they are not even here yet. And not use to sharing the spot lite. Try doing "special Big Boy" thing with him. Set aside some time to do things with him- just with him. That the babies won't be involved in. Also might get him some things to open (like presents). Could be that if he needs new clothes- instead of just taking him out try wrapping them so he has something to open (like the babies get for the baby shower). At the hospital you may want to give him a present (wrapped) something for a Big Boy gift. Also possibly a I'm a big brother shirt or Balloon or something at the hospital or when the babies come home. Just to make him feel like he is not being left out. He is just trying to get your attention and thinks that this is the way to do it. Hang in there (Try movie night with his fav treats-my son loves this)
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• He's clearly starting to be jealous already. Spend as much time with him as possible before the twins arrive.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 14, 2011