PPD & Breastfeeding

i REALLY want to breastfeed this time (successfully). with my daughter, i had VERY bad ppd that led to me not wanting to bf. my dr suggested zoloft, but im not sure i want anything to be transfered to the baby. :(
input please!!

jesi817

Asked by jesi817 at 3:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• zoloft is the safest thing to take while BFing because it has the lowest transference through breastmilk. i figure if its okay to smoke less than a pack a day while BFing its okay to take zoloft... but i mean if your PPD isnt that bad try st john's wart or dont do anything. its really up to what you think you can handle
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• One of the absolute best things for PPD is physical activity, paired with sunshine, and fresh air. It is amazing how much simply getting off your butt, out of the house, and moving around can help lighten your mood... 50 years ago, this IS how depression was treated- successfully.
    Put the baby in a sling, and go for a walk! I promise, it really does help... and you won't have to worry about what meds your little one is getting, or isn't.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• thank you both for the advice!

obbydobbie- i will be delivering in feb. so i may or may not be able to take him out in the cold. :/ or else i already have a sling and am prepared to get out! what makes things worse is that i dont have a car. :( we only have one car. im hoping our income tax can possibly open doors for us (for a 2nd car)!
    jesi817

Comment by jesi817 (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• You can do it, Jesi!! I had a hard time after having Catie, but we successfully nursed for 22 months.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 7:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I had PPD after my first and thatiswhy I didnt' breastfeed her. This time around I didnt' get it andI breastfeeed. You might be surprised but you might not get it and bejust fine. I'd try it without the meds first and see how you are. But if needed get them.
    CountryGirl0809

Answer by CountryGirl0809 at 12:08 AM on Jan. 15, 2011