Sensative! - Religion (no bashers- no judgements please)

My parents didn't raise my brother and I with any specific religion. We didn't go to church on a normal basis. If we wanted to go we could. And we would sometimes with relatives. But we also were not disuaded from going. I have been to Catholic, Christian, Luthern, Methodist, Morman and Unatarian churches. I am grateful to my parents for allowing us to find our own way (with help if asked for).
Are you raising your child with certin beliefs, or a certin religon? Or are you going to let them choose their own when they get older.

MamaWolf1981

Asked by MamaWolf1981 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• My personal thoughts.

My son was raised to find his own religious path.. My job as his parent was not to choose or dictate that path for him.

My job was to expose him to as many religions/religious philosophies as I could, and provide participation experiences as well.
    My family is a mix of :hindus (which is what I was raised), muslims, buddhist, and a sufi or 2.. My husband's family are all Sikhs.. Not only was my son widely exposed and participated in all of these religions, he also learned about and even participated in: Christianity (he went to church services with friends on occasions), Judaism (went to synagogue a few times), Wicca (his god parents are a wiccan same sex couple).

Each person chooses their beliefs based on their own thoughts, own feelings, own experiences and own view of the world. My son (who is a grown man) chose the path of the Sikh. I'm extremely proud of my son's dedication/belief in his path
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Where we live (smalltown USA) there isn't too wide a variety of places for them to choose between. They have already asked if they could attend a certain church because their friends attend there. They have gone several times and I have answered all of their questions to my ability. It is, and will always be, their choice.
    Anonymous

• I think eventually everyone chooses his/her own. Either they decide that what they were raised with really is best for them, or they go a different way.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I am raising my child with Christian beliefs, in a Southern Baptist church. Of course when they get older they will have to question for themselves and make decisions about their beliefs, but in our house we go to church on Sunday mornings and evenings as a family.

Answer by missanc at 3:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I'm LDS (mormon) and we were free to explore other religions. I've been to many different churches that my friends were a part of. My husband and I will raise our kids in our belief system, because we believe strongly in it, but we will also encourage to learn about others' beliefs. It's important not only to gain a testimony of something you believe in, whatever it may be, but to be able to understand others and what they believe in, and respect it whether or not it's your own belief.
    I would hope my children stay LDS but as adults they have their freedom of choice, so they'll do what they feel they should do with their lives. I hope they pray about it.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 3:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I am raising my son to be catholic. When he is older (not sure of the age yet, he is only 7) I won't mind if he explores other faiths. I would not be upset if he decided to change religions, as long as he practiced a faith in some way.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 3:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• My dd would attend church sometimes with her dad and his side of the family (we were not together) I did not go to church or practice a "religion" My belief is to be a good person and that is what I taught her as well and I let her decide her path. I was sent to catholic school and attended church 6 days a week when I was growing up and yet I still choose my belief. ironic.
    Anonymous

• My parents are of different faiths (although neither practices) and they could not agree on which one to raise my sis and I in. Sis and I were baptized, and I have been to Mass with my dad, Grandma and my dad's family, and I have been to Church with my mom. I feel no attachment to either religion (probably because I had no real upbringing in either). My hubs was brought up in a very religious family and went to church every week, although as an adult he does not believe in organized religion. Since neither of us have ties to or practice any specific religion our children are not of any religion. My mil turned Lutheran (when she married hubby #2) and she used to drive me crazy with her insisting the kids go to church and her trying to push her religion off on to my kids. (not that i have anything against Lutherans, I just did not like HER pushing HER views). continue...
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• continue...
    If my children show an interest in attending church I will either take them myself, or find a friend/relative of that faith and ask if they would take my children. If they want to join a specific religion that is fine with me, I would rather they find their own path than be forced to follow one that might not appeal to them.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2011