Why does the Pres. have to be born on American soil?

Why does it matter as long as they are a citizen? If they were born in I dunno Finland and moved here when they were 3 and are legal and have been for years why does it matter? There are many anti-American people who were born right here... I just wonder why the law is in place. why not make it like they have to have been a citizen for 10 years or something.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Are there levels of citizenship I don't know about?

Yes, there are. There are NATURAL BORN citizens with AMERICAN birth certificates and there are NATURALIZED citizens that have a foreign birth certicates. My mom was born in Germany to American parents on a military base, she is a naturalized citizen. I was born in Texas, I am natural born. Get it?

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Because that is what the Constitution of the United States of America requires.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Are you serious?
    Anonymous

• That is one of the few requirements for President that are in the Constitution.

I was not there when the Constitution was written, nor can I look at some crystal ball and tell you why the writers made that provision. My best guess is this.. At that time, "America" had just fought to get out from under British rule, to be it's own standing entity. If say, the son of the King decided to come on over here and become President (money and power talked back then just like it does now), then our government would once again be under the potential rule/influence of another country. Our founders did not want that. The provisions, I think, was made because a natural born citizen (remember citizenship through immigration wasn't the same then as it is now) would be loyal to this nation, not their nation of origin.

I could be totally and completely wrong.. This is just my guess. I am in no way shape or form a Constitutional scholar.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Because an American President Should be American. I think to be in the government you have to be a citizen for 10 years, or some time
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Well if they want to rule American then they should be American. You don't see an American or a Russian running Mexico now do you?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I think what she means is, what if someone who is in the military or something and ends up having a baby on a base in another country, that baby is american but can never be president.

If they are born on a US Base, they are considered American Citizens. McCain was born on a base outside the United States but is a natural born citizen.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 4:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Ahh..OP is that what you are referencing to..

The children born to military members who are stationed overseas.

If that is the case.. A person who was born, on a US military base, who's parents are US citizens **can** run for and be elected President of the US.

It is those who are naturalized citizens that can not run for President.. Meaning they were born in and were a citizen of another country before becoming a US citizen
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• yes I am serious. So an American Born citizen id better than some born elsewhere it is ALSO an American Citizen. Are there levels of citizenship I don't know about?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 3:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2011