What is the best acne treatments for teenagers??

My son, who is 13, has acne on his face, chest and back. His dad, grandad, and uncle also had it as teenagers.. I have bought face washes, etc.. And am now thinking of trying that Pro-Activ, which is expensive...So I thought I would ask other moms if they have tried it, or anything else that worked for them or their kids... Thanks ladies :)

TIFFANYT1432

Asked by TIFFANYT1432 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Ive tried proactive and have found that Acne Free works JUST as well. You can buy it at Walmart for about half the price.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 3:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Proactive works great, but it shouldn't be the first thing you try. It's way too expensive....I like the Nutrogena brand acne wash. They have a gel and some products with microbeads in them that work really good. You should also take him to a dermotologist to make sure he isn't going to scar too badly from it. Some skins react very badly to acne. One of my brothers has something called keloid scarring, where the bodies natural defenses continue to build scar tissue over and over, causing unsightly permanent bumps all over. Every pimple he ever had turned into a keloid before our crappy dr. told my parents what he had known all along- that the scars were permanent and untreatable even with laser therapy. Not everyone has these problems, but almost all kids with acne have to deal with the emotional scarring that goes with it. I still cry when I recall being called "pizzaface!"
    Robbiesmommy83

Answer by Robbiesmommy83 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Here is how my teen handles her acne: wash your face twice a day with a very mild soap (like unscented baby soap) and a soft wash cloth; follow with a light, oil free moisturizer (like Just Tomatoes or Lush). Once a day, before you wash your face, put on a honey mask (just honey, a great anti-bacterial). Every three days add a pinch of baking soda to the honey to exfoliate. Check back with me in two weeks and tell me how this worked

Answer by rkoloms at 10:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• We bought our son a tanning membership and it cleared his skin immediately.

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 12:04 PM on Jan. 15, 2011